New Pet-Stealing Scam , Beware of This!

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Yvonne Smith, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The Los Angeles Police Department is warning citizens about a new dog-abduction scam that has been spreading in that area, and is likely to spread further.
    People dressed as officials go to a person's house, show them what look like authentic paperwork, and demand that the dog/dogs be turned over to authorities.
    They may claim that they have recieved complaints about your pet being mistreated, or other reasons why they are there to take the pet.
    One man, who had given them his pet dog, then called the animal control office, and discovered that they had not sent anyone to his house, and there were no complaints against him or his dog. Authorities have posted information about the stolen dog, in hopes of reclaiming it for the owner.
    Although this seems to be only in California at the moment; it is best to be sure to call and verify authenticity if someone does come to your house and say they are taking your pet.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/4...overs-dognappers-prowl-around-los-angeles.htm

2. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Thank you for giving us information on this scam, its amaing what people think they can get away with these days. Fortunately for me I keep my dogs penned up in the back except when we take them out for walks. Its safer for the dogs that way because our back yard has a higher fence then the front yard does. So, if someone came by claiming my dogs did something wrong I would question this since they don't come in contact with too many strangers. Now there is the issue with one of our dogs Buddy who is a constant barker, if this was a complaint about disturbing the peace in the neighborhood I might have to check this out to see if there was any truth to it by calling to check on the validity of the story, because there could be a chance the person is telling me the truth.