New Pc

Discussion in 'Evolution of Language' started by Bobby Cole, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I love the observance of Political Correctness. Yes, I like to observe it but do not in fact practice it on a large scale. But, this morning just had to pop up with some new lessons which I find a new political correctness to be in order.

Because this afternoon is a gym day and a short period of cardio is absolutely necessary before ramping up with heavy wieights I found a new cardiovascular move that makes PC a worthwhile mental energy saver.
    I decided not to use the gazelle nor wait for the gym and get on the treadmill nor the stationary bicycle but instead I used the Briggs and Straton.
    Yes, a jaunt behind the Briggs whilst mowing my lawn was just the thing to bring my heart rate up, stretch the legs and arms while breathing good fresh air.
    So, from now on, I will NOT ever say I have to mow the lawn but rather I am going outside to do some Cardio.

But, how about those who ride whilst they mow the lawn? Maybe they can say they are implementing agricultural technology and bolstering the economy. Certainly a small John Deere tractor costs much more than a push mower and takes more fuel so the cost increase is totally productive by the increase in taxation. And, from what I understand, a GPS can be hooked up so the driver can read his new book while observing his technology. So then, we even have a brighter, smarter and well read person after the small chore is completed.

No more mowing the lawn. Cardio or implementation of tech is the only way to go.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Not entirely off-topic, I noticed last winter that my doctor would entirely discount anything practical when it came to her insistence that I exercise. If I spent a half hour exercising on the gazelle each day, that would count as exercise but shoveling my driveway and sidewalk would not. Pointlessly walking around would count as exercise while climbing up on a ladder to shovel the snow off of my roof counted for nothing. Spending time on a treadmill was exercise but the countless trips up and down our stairs during the course of a regular day was not. Do people who spend all day out in the woods logging have to come home and go to the gym in order to satisfy the doctor?

3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

When my grass gets Curly...I have to Moe! There are other options!;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Back in the '70s, designing production machines run with computers, those were called "PCs", "Programmable Controllers".

Then, as use of the Information Revolution became widespread, "PCs" were "Personal Computers".

Nowadays, we're ALL nuts, and seeking "PC", "Political Correctness".

Joe Riley and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Off topic? Not at all if we consider the options to those activities that are all too often regarded to as merely menial tasks.
    1. climbing the stairs: Yes Doctor, I have recently been employing the Jane Fonda (cough) stair step exercise. Love the music.
    2. climbing the ladder and shoveling snow. Yes Doctor, I have been working on the incline and doing pull-ups combined with 1/2 squats. Also, the shoulder exercises are helping out with all three groups of my deltoids not to mention all three groups of my pectoral muscles. The forearms, biceps, and the terres majors hurt sometimes though from the workout.

New language for those stubborn people who refuse to allow for every day work in lieu of the gym.

6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Now, that is my very point! Do you see how fit those two guys look? Why, the fellow with the scythe even looks like he might be smiling a bit. I'll even bet that both have that 6 pack ab look that everyone is so into nowadays.

7. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

PC culture can neither empower humans nor Briggs and Stratton power tools! No way!

What? The PC liberal-leftist culture is ganging up on you on what you decide to use to regularly enhance your mental, muscular, cardio and agrarian reforms? Whose lawn will you be mowing the following weeks and the next? ;)

My garden badly needs weeding and agricultural replenishing. And I badly need my exercises, kick-boxing and zumba classes. Well, they're all separate events. I can't alter the terms for any PC alternative names for what they are.

I'm not an avid fan of PC-safe-space. :rolleyes:

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Yes, I can sorta get you there Avigail. I studied Kenpo for nearly 6 years directly after I got out of the Army so for me, that's out for a while longer. My wife and I go to the gym every other day so indeed we do enjoy our individual activities there.

But, perchance I want to amuse myself in between sets I go to the best "spectator sport' in the whole area of the gym. Yup, that's the P C way of saying, "I went to watch the gals.........ZUMBA!!" woo hoo.........!!!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    Joe Riley and Avigail David like this.
  9. Avigail David

Registered

It's about time that we, folks here, cut (my husband with his chain saw), chopped and store firewood for winter. I'll put on zumba music while out there in the woods. :) :D

10. Avigail David

Registered

My husband is off limits to watching while waiting for me at Zumba. Haha! If there were Krav Maga at our small town's gym, I would have been in it. As you've enlightened me, sort of triggered my conscience, I'll dust off our little gym tools and heavy weights in the spare room sometime this week. :p

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    Joe Riley and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Great @Avagail David!! Get out the weights and other stuff and you two can workout together. Nothing dusts off the gym stuff like sweat and a pair of weight gloves.
    Hmmmm.........to think about it. Let's see. Private room, check. Yoga mats, check. Makes for a perfect "workout arena" to me! Yup......I'd say "workout arena" would be pretty PC for uh..............never mind.

Joe Riley and Frank Sanoica like this.
  12. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I'd much rather get my exercise the old fashioned way, via working, chores, walking out in nature, swimming, and the like. I've used gyms in the past and they're great, especially when you're in a cold weather area where it's more practical than trying to walk on an unplowed or unshoveled track, but I count all of my trips up and down the stairs here as exercise, and I can attest that they have strengthened my legs and back.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Yes @Diane Lane, you, @Ken Anderson and I are in complete agreement I see. But, as Ken wrote, it just doesn't fly with the Doctor.
    When my wife and I go in for our occasional ear, nose, throat, turn your head and cough check, the doc asks if we have been exercising and our answer is always, "we go to the gym.". She doesn't ask what we do there but accepts the fact that we go as a positive thing. Now......I have seen a few people who just sit on a machine and exercise their jaws on the phone and do absolutely nothing but that for a half hour or so and then report to the steam room. Exercise? Not really but our doctor would take it for her records.

On the opposite side, if by chance someone at the gym would ask me how long I do cardio before hammering out some weights it would depend on my activities prior to going for my workout. If I just mowed a third of an acre of lawn behind a push mower I would just say, "about a half hour".:cool:

14. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

In that case @Bobby Cole @Ken Anderson I would convert what I'd done into gym activities, and report those to the doctor. Of course my first move would be to look for a doctor more in line with my beliefs, but that's not always easy to find in this day and age. I don't particularly care for my doctor, but he puts up with me only seeing him when I can afford it, which isn't often, so I stick with him, at least for now.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

One of the problems, I think, is that doctors have things that they have to check off on their computers, for Obama-care, and, while exercises are on it, tasks are not. Doctors spend more time on their computers than with their patients. The one that I left, I thought, used to be a good doctor but, after Obama-care, he was simply filling out forms.

Diane Lane, Von Jones and Bobby Cole like this.