New H P Laptop

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by James Hintze, Apr 9, 2022.

1. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don't expect that anyone missed me this past week, but here I am again.

The problem was that my six year old laptop's ability to charge collapsed. A technician tried, but couldn't succeed, so I bought a new one; an HP. The computer is very nice, but the software it came with is criminal.

The techs were able to move most of what was on the old one to the new, such as bookmarks, things saved in different places, etc. etc. The Microsoft Edge in the new HP is programmed to prohibit other browsers to be downloaded. I have used Open Office to write for some time, and that too was blocked. I did find a way to get around the block, but with considerable work, and help from my wife. The HP part is good, but, as stated, the Microsoft Edge part is bad. Finally we did get my Firefox, on which I had considerable saved. I wrote this on my beloved Open Office.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

WOW ! ! It sounds like a terrible mess trying to get the new laptop set up, for sure, @James Hintze . I recently got a new laptop , too; but I got a Chromebook, so it has been really simple for me to use.
    After hearing your horror story , I am especially glad that I went with the Chromebook. It does everything that I need, and is so easy to set up and use.
    Hopefully, now that yours is all set up and working right, you will be happy with it.

I remember having my computer break down (in the past) and then I lost all of my pictures and other important stuff. That is one thing that I really like about cloud storage….. if the device dies, none of your information is lost, it just has to be downloaded onto the new device .
    For most everything, I use my iPad, but some of the surveys that I do will not allow a person to use a phone or tablet; so that is why I got the Chromebook, and so far, it seems to be doing just fine for what I wanted it for. The battery lasts all day, which is great, too.

3. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

That is good to know for any future computer buying. I wonder if that info is available before you buy instead of getting surprised later.

4. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I have HP and now Windows 10 which I don't like at all. Still no email for this one so I have to log onto email from other laptop.
    So much for moving away from all the 5 yr old grands who could fix us right up.:rolleyes:

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Have you looked on youtube for a tutorial video to set up the email, and whatever else you need to do ? When I can’t figure out on my own, then I start watching tutorials and eventually I usually find what I need to know to fix whatever it is.
    My daughter (who I call my Guru-ette), is the one who usually helps me, and she always asks me if I googled it before she will tell me what I have to do to make something work.
    Once I tell her all of the things I have already tried, then she will suggest other possibilities, or tell me what I need to do; so I have become an unwilling iPad expert, by default.

Beth Gallagher and Marie Mallery like this.
  6. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Yvonne I have one nerve left and no comprehension. I'd rather just complain for now its easier. Thank you your sweet.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I hate buying new PCs...they all seem to have so much proprietary junk on them and the restrictions you mentioned. I bought the one I'm on now used off of Craigslist. It came from a business when it upgraded, so there's none of the preloaded consumer crap on it.

If the next iteration of Windows mandates that Office 360 (or some other version) be used online, I'm screwed...as is much of the rural population.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Sometimes my SIL will have a problem with her iPhone or computer and will ask me questions. It really helps when a person, that knows computers, can be right next to the person who doesn't, but I can't do that. She doesn't have, and doesn't want to learn, to be "computer educated", so me telling her what to do, on the phone, doesn't help at all.

Not much can be done when, like anything else, the person wants the help, but doesn't want to follow what they are being told. Get somewhat frustrating for me and my wife.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  9. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I use post it notes.

10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

You could set up an email via gmail.com. I don't like changing stuff or when anyone else gets a new phone number, even but....