New Headphones, Can't Figure Them Out!

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Yvonne Smith, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I found a set of bluetooth earbuds on the Elite Deals offerings the other day. I listen to self-help tapes and subliminal ones at night when I go to bed, and I thought that having a set that just fit in my ears and not the whole big headphones that I have been using, would make it easier to listen at night.

I have tried the earbud ones before, but they were the ones with long cords and it always took me more time to untangle them than the effort was worth. These just have a short cord that connects the two earpieces and nothing else.
    I just can't make them fit in to my ears right !
    The earbuds are inset from the frame, and then there is some kind of a little loop affair called an "earhook" that is supposed to connect to my ear (somehow?) and hold the earbuds on....... At least that is what I think it does !
    Here is what they look like, if anyone can explain how to use these things ? They do not just fit into my ear like the ones I had before did.
    image.jpeg

Joe Riley likes this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

4. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

I never liked the buds. had the same problem so i have the standard type with the head band. a very long cord

Joe Riley likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Wife has a set of Ear Buds that she uses with her iPhone when calling me during lunch at work. The Ear Buds work fine for her, but hers don't have the hook/wrap-around thing. I have a Bluetooth for my iPhone, with the same type of hook/wrap-around ear thing that you have. When I put it on, it stays on........maybe b/c it fits my ear that good.

A lot of times, a person has to put some pressure, with you fingers, to get the Ear Buds in solid and make sure the "hook" is secure on the top of your ear. Actually, after looking at the picture you put on, these Ear Bud "hooks" look like there the size a child/teen would wear..........pretty small!

Joe Riley and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I've always had ear issues, pain, infections, etc., and so I tend to avoid ear buds. The headset I am using right now on the computer is the typical sort, I only spent around $10 on it, but it's very comfortable. It's the sort with the foam cups that rest on your ears, and the adjustable plastic/rubber part that goes over your head or behind your head, if you prefer. I have been going through things here in my attempt to downsize, and I found a pretty hot pink set from JVC that fit right into my tablet. I took those to the ER with me when I went, since I wasn't sure how long I've be there, or if they'd end up keeping me. I haven't used them since, but it's good to know that I have a nice set of comfy ones if I need them. I hope you've figured out how to use yours by now @Yvonne Smith.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Thank you, @Diane Lane ! Yes, I have figured out how to use the earbuds; but I still have no clue how that "earhook" thing works.
    It just doesn't seem to fit any which way on my ear. In any case, I just played around with the earbuds themselves, and finally found which direction they will work best in my ears.
    I only use them at night to listen to my positive-thinking, or subliminal healing Solfeggio Tones tape, and I am just laying still in bed; so it is not a problem of them falling out. However, I am not sure that they would stay in if I were to use them when I was active, ssuch as walking on the treadmill at the fitness center.
    For music, I still prefer my noise-cancelling Able Planet headphones, which are totally awsome for bringing out the bass in music.

Joe Riley likes this.
  8. Diane Lane

Registered

@Yvonne does the earhook lift up or bend backwards, so it can be slipped over your ear? I have very poor spatial skills, and things like that are not intuitive to me at all. I had a difficult time figuring out the part on my bluetooth headset that goes over the ear, and had the same issue with my home phone's 'headset'. The home phone's headset was very poorly designed/constructed, and it broke after the first day of use. I wish I'd thought to have researched that ahead of time, because when it broke, I looked around, and saw plenty of reviewers saying they'd had the same issue. Perhaps the over the ear part is mainly for active use. The JVC headset I have has very soft and cushy sections that cushion my ears. I think they're rubber, but I'm not entirely sure. I will use those in bed if I need something like that, since they're ultra comfy.

9. Yvonne Smith

The earhooks are only a tiny little loop of rubber, @Diane Lane . They are way too small to hook over any part of the ear. They can be turned any which way on the part that they care connected to, but the only thing that I can figure out is that they kind of insert into the hollows of the ear. If you look at the picture that I posted on the OP, you can see that they are just tiny little loops, and not large enough to go around anything. I even tried to see if they would fit on the earlobes, which seemed ridiculous anyway, and they don't do that either. I am just wearing them like I would wear any other earphones that didn't have the hooks; but I actually still like the regular headphones better, and they are less hassle.

Diane Lane likes this.
  10. Diane Lane

Registered

They sound too fussy for me. I like my things basic and easy to figure out. When I have a question about a product like that, I'll usually look on YouTube (or other sites) to see if I can find a video showing how to use the product. As I said, I have really poor spatial skills, and have trouble discerning how moving something a particular way will affect it or its use. I think a lot of younger people like ear buds because they're used to them, but I still prefer regular headphones, too. Here are pics of my JVC headphones I mentioned. The padding is perfect, since I often have ear pain and/or headaches. 20160502_091440.jpg 20160502_091447.jpg

Yvonne Smith likes this.