New Hard Disk For Storage

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Corie Henson, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

We are needing a new hard disk because our archive disk is getting full. There is no way the files will be lessened and the number keeps on growing everyday so I have to live with it and just buy additional storage when needed. I just wonder how many photos and videos I would have in my lifetime. And what about the children now, those who have a passion for the camera, how many hard disks would they be needing for their lifetime collection?

2. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, I don't think they'll need many hard disks. Their capacity only increases, and with the rise of the SSD (Solid State Drive: works way, way faster than a Hard Disk, because, well, there's no Disk to spin inside it), the speed will increase too. My current laptop has a capacity of 1 Terabyte, and it's more than sufficient for me.

Corie Henson likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Images take up a great deal of space, which is the downside to digital, I suppose.

Corie Henson likes this.
  4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Gee, this is the first time I've heard of that SSD - solid state drive. Can you enlighten me on that? The standard storage here is the hard disk although lately the USB stick is getting larger. But that USB plug in is just a temporary storage and cannot be used as permanent like the hard disk of the dvd (although only a few are now using dvd for permanent storage because the integrity has been in question).

5. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

They're fairly new on the market, hence the huge prices for low storage capacity. I don't really know how exactly they work, but I know that they store data through some new technology, unlike the hard disk drives which have to spin a disk in order to get to the data. Like a record, those HDDs are. SSDs, instead, have access to the data instantly, without having to spin the disk to, say the other side.

Corie Henson likes this.