New Hampshire

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have a couple of timeshares that we never use so we're going to use some of our points on a short trip to New Hampshire. I don't even remember where, but its somewhere in the White Mountains. My wife picked it out. I'm sure she told me, but I don't remember. If I asked her now, she'd act as if I wasn't listening to her or something. We'll be leaving tomorrow and will be gone only for the weekend, since it's only a six-hour drive. I'll still be online but probably not as much as usual. But then, weekends tend to be kind of slow here anyhow.

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

"Live Free or Die"! Embossed on NH license plates. John Ross pointed out the additional mental burden of incarceration felt by the Prison Inmates who manufacture the plates!

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Have a great time! If you don't feel like going, I'll take your place. :)

But maybe I'd better stay and keep on eye on things here, lol. There's a blonde widow troublemaker I hear.

They say she's pretty too. Hahahaha

Sheldon Scott and Ken Anderson like this.
  5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

What is there to see in New Hampshire? It's not a popular place for us unlike New York or LA. But with the mention of White Mountains, I can guess that it's a nature trip.

We were once offered a timeshare vacation package. It may fit our lifestyle when it comes to vacation but when we computed, it is like paying 10k pesos for an overnight stay. And although the resorts are classy and fit for the king, we feel it's exorbitant for us. My husband's uncle has a timeshare in Boracay, the famous beach island here. His accommodation is in a 5-star hotel with a golf course. It is an expensive timeshare but there are years that he was not able to avail of his timeshare privileges. It's such a waste of money.

6. Ken Anderson

Yeah, although there are things to do in the cities, such as Boston and Washington D.C., where we go from time to time, this will be a very nice place to stay in the country. Unless you're going to be using them a lot, timeshares are not a very good deal. We got one from my brother at no cost, and the other one for very little, but still the maintenance fees can be high.

7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My daughter and son in law bought a timeshare in Maui about 16 yrs ago and they go every year. It was an expensive one. $50,000 but they also use points to go to other westin properties besides Maui. They've been to Atlantis in the Bahamas.

Don't know how their points work exactly but I know that aside the once a year trip to Maui they go other places to where they get use points...it's been worth it for them.

They always stay at 5 star hotels so if you add the price of that up over all these years, it's paid for itself by now.

And it's passed on to the boys.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  8. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I was in the White Mountains once. It seemed nice, if you are into everything rustic. I have also been to Mount Washington which I think is located near there. Mount Washington was wild. I think we were there in the summer, but it was nice down at the bottom of the mountain, and up at the top, there was about a 30 mph wind, and it was so foggy you couldn't see 10 steps ahead of you. I remember walking from one building to the next in a total fog. lol...I just heard how that sounded! :p I guess the mountain is known for that kind of dicohtomy top to bottom though.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Mount Washington is here, yes. There is a train that goes onto Mount Washington, as well, but I don't feel like spending nearly $200 to do that.

K E Gordon likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

It's a nice room, with two queen-sized beds, both of which fold into the wall, a full kitchen, and a patio, plus room for two computers. Here's the view from our room.

loon-mountain800.jpg

11. Frank Sanoica

Registered

12. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I am surprised that there is still so much green there. I would have thought alot of the leaves would be changed already. A friend sent me some pics from around her home in Maine and alot of the leaves had changed already. Of course we are still almost all green here yet. I would say less than 10 percent changed, but there is some color int he front. This area is gorgeous when the leaves start to change color, as there are so many trees here. Maybe I will post some pics when the time comes.

13. Ken Anderson

The leaves are well on the way to changing. A lot of the green that you see are evergreens.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  14. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Ken Anderson
    What is the approximate altitude there? Here in the desert, just beginning to cool down after summer, areas only 100 miles away at 7000 feet alt., are experiencing morning lows of 40 degrees! Mountainous desert areas seem to have extremes of temps. not very far apart, distance-wise.

15. Ken Anderson

I don't know. It's in the White Mountains, and is a ski resort in the winter.