New Guy On The Forum. Voting

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Ed Marsh, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Good morning to all-
    I am a new guy on this forum, so I will try and not offend anyone.

I hope all of the US seniors on this forum have registered to vote and will vote in November. There has never been a time when it was more important that we exercise our rights and duties to determine our representatives in government.

I'd just like to ask of all, Are you happy with the past four years? Is our country better now after four years of the present occupant of the White House and his words, policies, and actions?

If you can truthfully answer "yes" then we obviously see the world through different eyes.

good day to all- Ed

Peter Renfro and Nancy Hart like this.
  2. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

@Ed Marsh enlighten us please. What do you see that causes displeasure with the past 4 years?

3. Ed Marsh

Registered

Good morning to all-

With all due respect to those who for whatever reason continue to support the present occupant of the White House, I am displeased with the constant lies, the vile mistreatment of people of all races and nationalities, the bad verbal behavior most adults would not tolerate from a 13 year old, and above all, the total lack of preparation and ability to learn to adjust to changing conditions. In a nutshell, I am displeased with the present occupant's total absence of ability to be a leader.

good day to all- Ed

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Ed--I have been a registered voter all my adult life, but thanks for the reminder. I am one who freely admits that I don't care for Donald Trump as a person. I find him crass, dangerous and unpresidential. That said, I will never support a liberal democratic candidate so I am pretty much forced to vote for the conservative ticket instead of the individual.

I would never vote for Joe Biden because I believe the man has dementia, plus I remember how basically ineffective he was as VP. I also remember his shameless behavior during the smear campaign and hearings for the confirmation of Justice Clarence Thomas. (Which was repeated by his party during the Brett Kavanaugh confirmation.) I hope that liberal democrats will look carefully at Biden's running mate, because if Biden wins that individual will likely be the president in short order.

Sadly, the American people are once again in the position of choosing the lesser of two evils. I wish we had a candidate that wasn't so polarizing.

5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Care to give us a name or two of someone who would suit you, who you would like to see running?

6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

At this point, no.

7. Ed Marsh

Registered

Good morning to all-

My friends, here are a few thoughts on this fine morning in June:

At this point, the terms "liberal" and "conservative" have no meaning. These are just labels used to try and frighten and confuse some voters.

For instance, I am probably the most conservative man you'll meet. My wife and I have worked all of our lives. We have paid off all of our bills, and we owe no man anything. We raised our three kids, they all went to college, and they are all doing well. We grow much of our own food at home, and we share with neighbors. We don't bother others, and we keep to ourselves- by choice.
    But because I support government programs which help folks who are less able to help themselves, and I strongly support government programs which help young people get a better chance in life, and because I strongly support laws and restrictions on big business and anyone else who pollutes and destroys our world, I would be labelled a "liberal" by certain politicians.

And look at the current occupant of the White House. At every stage of his life, he has proven himself to be totally untrustworthy and a liar. How many marriages has he had? How many paid mistresses has he had? How many people has he hurt in his "business" operations? How many business failures and bankruptcies have his companies had? How many provable and obvious lies has he uttered? How many times has he demanded unquestioned loyalty from those around him and yet he is loyal in no way to anyone except himself? And yet this vile, cruel, and ignorant man is labelled a "conservative".

So the terms "liberal" and :conservative" mean nothing.

And as far as selecting some one who would be better than the present occupant- almost ANYONE would be better. Yes, Joe Biden would be better- much better.

good morning to all- Ed

Dwight Ward and Peter Renfro like this.
  8. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Ed, you have gotten too used to phony, mealy mouth and ineffective politicians who talk a good game but do little. They are front men for the moneyed class and do their bidding. Trump resonates with the common man because he deals with realities and not appearances. I remember where he once said that his father taught him to respect the guy that gets dirty who is involved in constructing Trump projects. He even talks like them, and even though he doesn't drink alcohol he's the kind of guy you could have a man to man conversation with. People pick up on that. Do you care what the tow truck driver who pulls your car out of the ditch is like, or do you just want your car out of the ditch?

9. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Nothing to do with me and I should sling my hook.

Trumps the best POTUS since Ike.

10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

At this point I really do not care about your politics but I am indeed concerned with something slightly different.

The best instructors I ever had were those who insisted on research and when it was apparent that I hadn’t fully studied a subject to the point of being able to construct a full expository on that subject, I was given less than a good grade for my work.
    There is no price that can be placed on such leadership for they set the stage and directed me in a way toward excellence rather than complacency which is probably why I question your work.

Your answer, whilst being quite rhetoric (and cliche’) might appeal to some but here is where I have to interject a small line of observations that might bring things into a better line of focus.
    You wrote some things that you do not like about the present President of the United States regarding his past and then further charged others to think about those indictments then later followed with the portion that I quoted.
    Again, I do not particularly care about your politics so here’s the real problem I am having.
    When you teach your students, do you allow them the same latitude that you have exhibited with your answer?
    If you submit a question on a test, does, “anything but such and such” do or are you more demanding and ask where the research is?

If I were an instructor today and a student wrote the same thing, I would immediately question his or her reasoning, references and method of study.
    Just because we are big boys now and are supposed to be wearing big boy pants doesn’t mean that we aren’t still sitting in a classroom seat whilst taking a test. This is ALL a test and unfortunately life doesn’t give a written grade on our work.
    “Anyone but”.....isn’t an answer but an unstudied quip which only confuses the real issues.

Now, how about this? Why would Biden be a better president?

11. Ed Marsh

Registered

Good morning to all-

Bobby, Biden would be better because he is not Donald Trump. Those who say tRump represents the "common working man" are out of touch with reality. That vile man never worked a day in his life. He has never had to worry about making the rent or getting his kids to school or keeping food in the house. He was born to total privilege, and he has used his unearned advantages to satisfy his personal desires only. He has never done a thing in his life to help others.
    Three words can sum up the total of tRump: ME, MY, MINE.

And when I tested my students, I had answers which I expected on questions, after all, there is right and wrong on most topics. I was very interested in seeing HOW the students responded on essay exams particularly. And I loved teaching research methods to my students and how they had to be careful to explore potential sources for both accuracy and bias and to not accept what they read or heard without further research.

And Joe Biden is not perfect. He has faults as most of us do- but his faults I feel are more to do with age and experience. TRump would NEVER admit that he has faults of any kind. After all, he's a "very stable genius."

good day to all- Ed

Peter Renfro likes this.
  12. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Ed, you are a minority here,and you will get no where, Sounds like you and I stand cheek by jowl on this subject. If you sick around long enough your patriotism will be questioned, your right to live in America will be questioned,it will be inferred that you are not real smart,are easily influenced and haven't the intelligence to form a valid thought on your own. You will be just astounded at the twists the faithful will go to to keep even a speck of shit from sticking to Fearless Leader.
    Please don't leave or despair, I need an ally, besides outside, of the wrong political position most of these folks are really decent people!

13. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

14. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Not when you have received the love I have from some members!

15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

“Biden would be better because he is not Donald Trump”. Let’s see, on one particular item you are exactly correct. Donald Trump is not Joe Biden just as I am not you nor anyone else. The statement is still cliche’ and well practiced by a number of people I have talked to but I have to admit, it no longer stands the test of being rhetoric. Since it would appear that you are not attempting to convince anyone to change their own opinions through researched information, you are simply handing out a sample of political jargon known as political sidetracking or politico speak which, is one of the great things about being an American; we’re free to do so.
    The only problem with it is that I can’t find a life time politician who doesn’t know that language extremely well. It could be why I do not like to vote for lifetime politicians. Dunno.

Lastly for this A.M., do please Note: Donald Trump has admitted to be wrong on several occasions but alas, CNN and the like do not nor will probably ever publish those self admonishments.