New Battery?

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Martin Alonzo, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

If this pans out we will have a real jump in everything from electric cars to cell phones
    New Battery Only Needs Charging Every 1,000 Years, 3204

2. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I once learned quite a bit about electric cars because I wanted to build one of my own. In doing so I learned about the state of the art in batteries.

A couple of things make me suspicious of this new battery. For one the claim is that nuclear waste will be completely used up by being converted into use by the new batteries. Think this through. If the new batteries do use nuclear waste, the tiny bit they'd need for each battery probably wouldn't add up to the large bulk of actually generated nuclear.waste.

There's also the issue of the availability of the energy in nuclear waste. It is hard to get at and hard to use. Otherwise why wouldn't the waste still be powering reactors?

Also.the new batteries wouldn't actually need an initial charge because their energy is coming from their original source of nuclear waste. So, after 1000 years they need recharging?..They couldn't be recharged by just sending electricity through them. They aren't really electricity storage devices. They couldn't be recharged by renewing their supply of nuclear waste either. Whatever matrix the original nuclear waste is embedded in, that waste is now. flat and depleted.There would be no way to recharge it.

There's a lot of impressive sounding scientific jargon and gooble-de-gook cited here. Maybe it's real. Maybe not.

Lastly, if they were already so richly capitalized, why would they seek small investments from the public? I think they're a scam.

This is all off the top of my head. I'm no nuclear engineer and could be wrong about it all.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    Scott Laughlin likes this.
  3. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

@Dwight Ward
    And it might be a scam but as long as they are not using our money let them play. The old saying it is a scam but what if they are right. They have to find a way of using or getting rid of nuclear waist it is worth a try.

Dwight Ward likes this.
  4. Scott Laughlin

Scott Laughlin Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

You offer a logical argument, but many things that were impossible in your grandfather's day are quite common today. But progress always has a down side. Some times it's difficult to see.

Dwight Ward likes this.