Netflix, Two Thumbs Part Way Down

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes. @Chrissy Cross. I always pay attention to that and use the info section which can be found beneath the movie title. I'm sure other streaming services have this as well and it is a good thing to use to avoid disappoints as @Cody Fousnaugh did.

Ken Anderson and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's been my experience. Frequently.

Von Jones and Chrissy Cross like this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, but both of them had a LOT of foul language. The "F" word many, many times. After only a couple of minutes, we had to stop The Meet The Blacks movie. They were calling each other the "N" word all the time as well as other foul language. When they were alive, even Siskel and Ebert made comments about how they didn't like hearing that word, and other words used, in the movie.

A person has to pretty much only watch Disney movies to get completely away from foul language. We have some movies that are R rated, but still not nearly the amount of language that is in those two movies.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We couldn't believe it when we watched the movie Sisters. Actually, my SIL (wife's sister), who is a devoted Christian, seen the movie and thought it was hilarious. She must have watched the movie without the sound being on (only kidding, but.....). The language, and a few other scene's were terrible in the movie. We are giving the movie to my barber who seen it in the theater and liked it.

5. Ken Anderson

As a Christian, I would prefer not to have to listen to the profanity but that would severely limit the number of available movies, sadly enough. I am not as disgusted with it when it fits the plot. It might be unreasonable to expect a thug to talk like a Sunday School teacher, and I can understand that, although there was a time when movies were still interesting to watch without the kind of language we have now.

I have quit watching several movies, though, where the profanity was totally gratuitous, adding nothing of value to the plot. I have seen movies that would have been great family movies except for the fact that they have added profanity for no reason other than to get a PG Or R rating, the idea being that G rated movies don't sell anymore.

I feel the same way about gratuitous sex in movies. These days, you can't even watch a war movie without a sex scene in the middle of the battle. But I am generally working while I am watching movies so it's a lot easier for me to simply not watch those parts, but it's a lot harder to close off my ears.

So as not to fully change the topic of this thread however, I have watched a whole lot of movies that I would never have watched otherwise only because I had nearly exhausted the number of movies that looked interesting to me, and found them to be very good, even black and white movies that I wouldn't otherwise have watched.,

As someone mentions, the DVD option does add a whole lot to the variety of movies available, and if you watch a lot of movies, as I do, it can be well worth if as long as you can turn the DVDs around quickly,.

6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Don't watch modern movies unless I'm more sure than not, I'll stick with it, certainly wouldn't
    pay to try them

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

If we would have known about Chromecast back in 2013, when it first came out, we would have bought it then. Would have saved some money on DVD movies we have bought, although we've never paid a full price for either regular or Blue-Ray movies.

A YouTube video of a song is nice to see using Chromecast, but buying/having a DVD concert of a favorite group can be/is better.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Actually, I just checked the DVD movies that we own and only a couple are on Netflix. So we wouldn't have saved any money getting the Chromecast in 2013 after all.

9. Ken Anderson

I'll buy DVDs once in a while, when it's something I know I'll watch again, like Little House on the Prairie, The Waltons, etc. There aren't very many movies that I'll watch repeatedly but some of the older television series are repeatable.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Turns out, Netflix isn't too bad. We may keep it for a few months, just depends on what new movies (that we don't already have) will come on. We are currently watching episodes of Grace and Frankie. Jane Fonda and Lilly Tomlin are hilarious! Some "F" bombs, but. Last time I seen Jane Fonda in a movie was On Golden Pond with her dad. Last time I seen Lilly Tomlin in anything was in the movie Tammy.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Been watching the Longmire Series on Netflix. Up to Season 4 now. What a mystery show. A&E had it, dropped it and Netflix picked it up. New ones will start filming in Sept. 2017.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  12. Ken Anderson

Season five is available. I had forgotten so much between season four and season five that I am rewatching it. I think it's a good show.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

There were some real surprises in some episodes, like last night's Episode "High Noon". Cady got hired by a new law firm in Durant, for an unbelievable salary and starting bonus, but then quit the same day due to finding out who they were representing and then got verbally threatened by her boss due to the confidentiality form she had signed. And, at the end when Walt encountered Barlow Connally about the shots that were fired at Jacob's house and then about Barlow's son murder. Really had wife and I "on the edge of our seats"! But, we already knew Barlow killed Branch (Barlow's son) from reading about the characters online.

Wonder how Walt will feel once he finds out that Jacob was part of his wife's murder. Jacob keeps telling Walt, "I didn't murder your wife", which is true, but was part of the murder........we believe so, anyway.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  14. Ken Anderson

There are so many series that I binge-watch on Netflix and Hulu that I often have to start over with season one again because I get lost. Longmire is my kind of show. It reminds me a lot of Justified, which I also liked, only not quite as violent.