Needing Advice

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Frank Sanoica, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson
    Would it be unheard-of to seek advice from the general readership concerning some behaviors encountered on another, non-competing forum? This might be somewhat discretionary as far as Admin is concerned. It is a car forum. Frank

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Not unheard of and I see no problem with it especially if you don't mention names.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

You are going to ask advice from This bunch about behaving??????? :D:D:D:D:D

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Frank Sanoica

Registered

OK, I'm pasting the dialog. Judge for yourselves, but let me know if I need to "cut back" some in my expectations. Here is the gist of it:

Suddenly, all my posts there, hundreds, had their signature altered. I go by "imp" there, and all of them read "pimp". It wasn't the word, but the audacity of changing someone's posts needlessly. So, I wrote to the Admin, but publicly, on purpose:

Not sure at all, that given the dubious ability to do so, that I could go about altering folks' posts. Then, later:
    "Now, having said the above, I'll finish with this: my impression of you is that you could be a retired Admiral, totally and insufferably engrossed in garnering obedience from your men. This is not intended to be insolence. Rather, a view from outside your little local "clique", which seems more interested in "funnin' " with each other than truly dedicating information for new members, even though you "fawn" doing so.
    I should be as accepting as the rest of your "fold", grin, bear it, and go on. That would lower myself to your level, so, no.
    I will be surprised if this post exists tomorrow, or beyond, and if it does, will only hope it exercises some restraint of thought amongst those, mostly newcomers, who stand in awe of power."

Admin responded:

"Thanks for your assessment. I'll return the favor:
    Your advisory posts are simplistic and usually only partially correct. You feel you need to post something about everything and embellish when you clearly don't know the answer. You have this perception that your age and whatever experience you possess somehow makeup for your lack of basic maintenance knowledge and mechanics skills. You often post garbage in a way that makes it seem like you're bringing some revelation but fail to research the majority of your content.
    You are someone who should be doing a lot more reading and less writing unless you are posting a question. A good portion of the issue may be that you take yourself far too seriously. My "fold" is a bunch of extremely talented car guys that like to sit around and BS. We have "jobs" for all the other "crap" that you're apparently so hung up on.
    Try offering up some of your posts/revelations as discussion versus a statement of fact because a good portion of your facts, are not.
    I will clean this thread up when I'm done with it. --and--
    Next time you want to call me out you should do it PM. That's what it's for.
    Edit: ...and yes. I on occasion, do screw around a bit. However, If this was directed at me:
    ("Not sure at all, that given the dubious ability to do so, that I could go about altering folks' posts.")
    You are wrong."

Now, I believe for a fact that given the number of guys who have thanked me for helping them out, that I do better than he insinuates. Matrix would not have taken it, at all. That much I'll give the guy. But very little more. Maybe better he had "canned" me. Thanks for reading. Frank

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am generally a lot more reasonable when someone calls me out privately rather than publicly. For the most part, you should call someone out publicly when you are not looking for a conciliatory end. Most forums have moderators who might also have the ability to change a members signature and no, they wouldn't have to change every post; when you change the signature line, it automatically changes every post, depending on the forum script used. So someone with access would have to add only one letter to your signature line to change "imp" to "pimp" - which seems like something only a child would do. I would rather we not discuss other forum practices here, however.

6. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Ken Anderson Of course, my first thought when "battered" by the guy was how much difference is to be found here on SOF. It evidently troubled me enough to start this thread; maybe it was a bad idea. But, done now. Appreciate your thoughts.
    Frank