Need Help

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Rachel Rodarte, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Rachel Rodarte

Rachel Rodarte Veteran Member
    Registered

I need help from anyone who know how to get a kitten/cat off the roof. We have tried everything, we fed him, gotten close enough to grab him, but he keeps running away, he has been up there going on a week. There has been several neighbors who also tried. On the other side of the building is a tree branch that, and he is to scared to climb it down. We have tried everything, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get him down.

2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Leave him alone and quit feeding him. You might put some food where he can smell it but must come down to get it. He will come down on his own if everyone will quit bothering him.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Generally, if a cat can get up, it can get back down again, and that is particularly true of feral cats or ones who are outdoors regularly. The first time my young one, Ella, climbed a tree, she was howling, since a kitten won't realize that going down is harder than going up until they have to come down. That's because of the position and curvature of their claws. Instinctively, they want to go down head first, like squirrels and chipmunks, but their claws don't work that way. Had I left Ella where she was, she'd have probably figured it out but she sounded so pathetic that I got the ladder and brought her back down. Yet only two days later, I found her up another tree, and learned that she had already mastered the art of backing down from a tree. No help required.

4. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

The guys are right but I know how you feel Rachel. If you're still really worried then you can call your local fire department and local news station. They love covering a human interest story where the firefighters help even the littlest of victims :)

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:I agree with Lara and get help. Sometimes the little kitten is so afraid of people especially if he is feral he will be afraid of people. The little fur baby must be afraid if he doesn't want to go to people to help him down. You're not the only one with this problem. I don't know why cats go on the roof at homes too. Good luck in getting the little fur baby down.

6. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

We had a cat in the tree in the backyard and I felt bad because he was crying so we got a ladder and the cat climbed higher up. I figured this wasn't good because I was afraid the branches would break, so we decided to leave him alone and eventually he managed to climb then jump down. i was sort of surprised at the size of the jump he made.

What i would suggest if you have already fed the cat, just place the food on the ground or some lower point where if the cat wants it it will have to come down and it probably will. I wonder why it got up there to begin with? Do you think it was chasing squirrels? Or maybe it got in someplace and it is sleeping in your eaves?

7. Rachel Rodarte

Rachel Rodarte Veteran Member
    Registered

Good News everyone, he is finally off the roof, I just came from feeding them, and my husband told, isn't that him, and sure enough it was. I was praying to God that someone would help him. There were several neighbors who were concern about him or she. I thank God for helping out. I now feel so much better that furry little guy is safe. thank you all for your suggestions.

Lara Moss likes this.