Need Help Identifying This Pretty Little Flower

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Diane Lane, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I know y'all know a lot more than I do about flowers and plants. I saw this in my travels earlier, and would love to know what it's called. I took several pictures, but this is the only one that actually came out well enough to keep. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Diane Lane

Registered

I'm still trying to identify this flower. I thought I had it identified as Rose Pinks or Sabacia Angularis, but although that's the closest match I've found, every description of those I've found mentions yellow stamens/antlers, and these have rose/pink ones. If I get back to the park, i'll try to get some pictures from other angles, so I can narrow it down via the leaves and maybe the underside of the flowers.

3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

That flower looks familiar. If I'm not mistaken, that is called Christmas tree. My parents-in-law have that in their front yard. the flower is kind of sturdy and what's notable is the gloss like plastic. And when the flower matures, it has black seeds the size of pepper corn. The stem is thin and easy to cut. From what I remember, it is propagated by cuttings. Unfortunately, that ancestral house was sold years ago.

4. Diane Lane

Registered

I looked it up, but couldn't find anything on a Christmas Tree flower or plant, other than actual Christmas trees in planters and with flowers on them. Perhaps that's a local name. I know not everything planted at that park is native to this area, so it could be from anywhere, but seems to be thriving in this hot and humid climate. I'll have to keep looking, and hopefully if I can go walking again soon, I can take pictures from additional angles, that will help me with identifying it.

Corie Henson likes this.