Nearly 1/3 Of Americans Can Imagine Supporting A Military Coup

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Ike Willis likes this.
  2. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Our constitution provides for ejecting a rogue government, I believe. I'm surprised and saddened that America is too gutless to use it.

3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Honestly, I'm surprised it was only 1/3. No doubt there were others who were afraid to say what they really felt.

4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Pardon me for this comment but I don't see Americans doing a people power like what the Filipinos did in 1986 when we ousted President Marcos and replaced him with Cory Aquino who lost in the just concluded election. But the uprising of the people was not really because of the cheating in the elections, it's about another issue that is connected to a coup d' etat against Marcos. And my reason for my first sentence is because of the diversity of the Americans particularly the migrants. Just my thoughts.

With the Americans supporting a military coup, does that mean 1/3 of the population don't like the present administration?

5. Diane Lane

Registered

I'd say at least 1/3 doesn't like the current administration. Often, it's the current administration supporters who are most vocal, and most focused on by the press. There is, however, a large faction that does not support this administration. Not all of them belong to the organized Tea Party groups, and not all are staunchly conservative.

6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

That line about supporters being vocal reminds me of a leftist group that was always in the forefront of protest march. If you have heard of protest actions against the US embassy in Manila, that group is what I'm talking about. They are so rebellioius and they have a way of always landing in the front page of the newspaper. By the way, a few days ago, a leftist group held a lightning rally in front of the US embassy, smearing the logo of the embassy with red paint. Arrested were 4 of the rallyists. I hope they would be jailed.

Anyway, that leftist group was becoming popular or notorious depending on where you sit. When they joined the election, they got only a few votes. So we were right in saying that the said leftist group is small and they are just noisy so they give an impression that they are many.

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. Diane Lane

Registered

Yes, and controversy sells papers and ads, so focusing on them brings page clicks and the news stations and newspapers make money. It helps that (at least here in the U.S.), the 'beautiful people', such as many in Hollywood, lean left, and are happy to use their platforms to proclaim their views as the most important. That's why I will boycott the nasty ones, and won't let a penny of my money line their pockets and contribute to giving them that platform. Too many teenagers and adults these days aren't able to separate the wheat from the chaff, and get caught up in falling under the spell of celebrities, so their words and actions carry more weight than they should.

Ike Willis and Sheldon Scott like this.
  8. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

Precisely because controversy sells papers and ads is that we see Donald Trump trying to run for presidency, but after reading what people think of the actual government, I can't imagine the debacle someone like Trump may carry on.

Don't remember which of the main newspapers said this, but noted that if Trump wins America loses, and while we have to accept that some Obama's initiatives, like Obamacare itself, have been really controversial, I'm convinced that the wrong choice of the next President of the USA, whether democrat or republican, will increase these figures we are talking now about.

Ike Willis likes this.
  9. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

They can add me to their poll! I would support it 100%! I believe Obama is doing exactly what he promised to do, which is transform America! He has already turned it into something alien and hostile. I think Donald Trump could turn it around.

10. Diane Lane

Registered

Yes, I have heard many whining about how they voted for him, and he betrayed them. No, he hasn't, he said he would fundamentally change America, and he's done, and continues to do, just that. This is the fallout of uneducated voters, and youth swayed by what is apparently to some, a charismatic personality.

I'm not sure how Donald Trump would fare as President, but I do think he is showing the country just how divided the people are. Before his candidacy, quite a few people thought they were actually in the majority, because the press only reports one side. I think his being a candidate is a good thing, because it is teaching the public that not everyone is a proponent of political correctness, and that not everyone agrees with this administration. Also, not everyone who disagrees with this administration is to the far right of the spectrum, and that truth has not been portrayed in the media.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Along the same lines, according to a Gallup poll, 49% of Americans believe Washington D.C. poses an immediate threat to the rights and freedoms of the average American citizen.

12. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

The percentage would be higher but they failed to ask me.

Yvonne Smith and Ike Willis like this.
  13. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Today's latest percentages according to Rasmussen's Daily Presidential Poll :

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Tuesday shows that 45% of Likely U.S. Voters approve of President Obama's job performance. Fifty-four percent (54%) disapprove (see trends).

The latest figures include 24% who Strongly Approve of the way Obama is performing as president and 42% who Strongly Disapprove. This gives him a Presidential Approval Index rating of -18.

Yvonne Smith likes this.