Navigating Health Problems As We Age

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Babs Hunt, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

This is a problem in preventative care- as long as nothing is found, it will be paid for. But even one
    tiny polyp turns it into diagnostic- which means you pay for most pf the cost. Last year had hubbys over due colonoscopy
    set up to be done. But because they found polyps before they wanted $600 upfront. Did not have that then, and sure as heck do
    not have that now. Since then his insurance has changed, so it will be even more later.
    I do not know what the answers are for medical and insurance laws, but clearly there has to be a better way. I do know, and have known
    for many years what a racket they are. Pretty sad, when your own doctor confirms this. BTW, do you know why most doctors do not spend much time with you ? Most doctors, dentists and etc. -here at least are owned by outside companies. They call the shots. My doctor is only allowed to spend 10-15 minutes with each patient. Notice how so many have more than one office? hum um, The more offices they can be sent to, the more patients they can get. How many doctors offices have you seen that state..Dr. Joe MD private practice ? Then there are those doctors, and dentists who may own a portion of the "practice" or hospital, so far not seeing this as any real advantage either.
    Then there is the percentages they receive, when trying you on a 'new" drug, or maybe even and old one - just depends on what the pharmaceutical companies and etc, want to push.
    After my dental surgery this year, the perio dentist wanted me to come back to remove the brown stain on my teeth caused by the mouthwash.
    Can I not just use baking soda? No, that will not do it. Wrong... It is gone:D

2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Well @Gloria Mitchell I certainly hope they removed your husband's polyps.

I agree so much needs to change in the Health Care System but whether it does or not, the older we get the more most of us are going to need Medical help and care. So we will just have to make the best of the situation when we come to it.

I can't afford to let my Dentist do a root canal and crown and I have researched other Dental Insurance but they don't really pay much on any of the things like that. Mine pays for two cleanings a year and x-rays...and a small percentage of everything else. I have already figured out it will cost me less to just pull the tooth when it is time and pay for partial dentures which still will cost a pretty penny....but will last much longer.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We are both on Medicare A & B, Florida Blue (as the supplemental) and Humana (prescriptions). For me, I also use my VA Medical.

When I had my rotator cuff surgery in 2015, the total cost was in the area of $38,000. With my Medicare B, Florida Blue and Humana, we paid some $600. We thought that was fantastic. We could afford that.

But, when my wife's dentist told her that she will need complete upper and lower teeth, we checked into the cost. Come to find out her dental insurance at work is about worthless when it comes to paying for dental.
    My teeth aren't in the best of shape either, but they function fine.

Once wife retires, and that descent income she has right now coming in is gone, I very well may have to go completely with VA Medical, like I did before I got Medicare. I don't have a monthly premium with the VA, like I do with Medicare, Florida Blue and Humana. Unfortunately, because I don't have any "Service Connected" medical problems, I don't get full/100% medical care from the VA.

But, one way or another, we all have to TRY and survive our Senior years "health wise" the best we can.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have a Medicare Advantage plan, and most of the time, it covers just about everything we need done, like my recent heart procedures. Medicare doesn't really cover dental or vision, but our Advantage plans does cover some on both of those. It also has other benefits over just a plain Medicare supplement, like the fitness membership, and free OTC medications or products each month.
    Except for the heart problems (which I believe were caused by an automobile accident I was in) , most of the rest of my health is pretty good for my age, and kept in control by eating foods that have beneficial usefulness, like the kefir and coconut oil.
    Since they have learned that most of our immune system is link with our digestive system, and also most of the serotonin is manufactured in the digestive system, keeping our gut working properly helps keep everything working right. The word "kefir" means "feel good", and it really does help a person to feel good, both physically and mentally, and emotionally.
    I don't take it every day; but I make fresh kefir and drink some at night on a fairly regular basis. I really like the fresh homemade kefir, and it is so simple to make, and has more probiotics than just about anyting else you can take.

Hedi Mitchell and Babs Hunt like this.
  5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

For many of our health problems what you eat or don't eat does have alot to do with how healthy we stay. But our teeth are one of the things according to one of my Dentists that aren't just affected by eating healthy, brushing and flossing, and seeing your Dentist regularly. People are born with different kinds of teeth, some have strong and straight teeth with lots of enamel, etc. and others aren't born with this kind and will have more dental problems and lose teeth because they are softer, etc. It is no different than some having eye problems, hearing problems, and some won't, etc. Some things are more likely because of what we inherit from our family line. But the better we eat, exercise, and have regular medical and dental checkups besides following our Doctor's and Dentists advise...the better chance we have of staying as healthy as possible as we age...and possibly keeping our real teeth.

Yvonne Smith and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Understandable, BUT........there are many, and I do mean many, Seniors that don't eat right or exercise enough, or at all, due to..........now, that's a good question, right?

For wife and I, we like French Fries, pizza, burgers, chicken, potatoes and Mexican food to give any of it up. We go to a movie and get the big container of buttered popcorn and a large Coke. Oh, can't forget the Bud Light and margarita's.

Exercise, well, due to my hip replacement and rotator cuff surgeries, one on each shoulder, have to watch the "exercise" thing. However, do get it on our boat and going to the Range. Unfortunately, the summer months here can be too darn hot and humid to do much of anything, especially for Seniors. Don't see many Seniors "out and about" when the heat/humidity is on.

But, we try.

7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

There's nothing wrong with eating foods that you love that aren't as healthy for you @Cody Fousnaugh...but it is better if you do it in moderation and smaller portions. And just about everyone who is older can do some form of regular exercise...if they want to help keep their bodies as healthy as possible and limber too. :)

Healthy foods doesn't really cost any more than junk food and even on limited income we can eat healthy even if we grow some of the healthy stuff ourselves.

People make choices...those choices can lead to being healthier or not. Some people just want to do what they want to do. For me personally I want to take the best care I can of myself as I age so hopefully I will live long enough to maybe even be a great grandmother too one day. :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Just got back from my first appointment with my new Dentist and I am very happy with her. She took the x-rays but did not even mention any cavities or a root canal. She said my gums looked great, my teeth were receding normally for my age and that if I wanted to make a bridge for the bottom teeth that are missing it would cost me about $450. which is alot cheaper than what a root canal and crown would cost. I am very happy with my dental visit and earned 500 more mall buck points today. :)

9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

The MRI I was to have for my shoulder and lower spine on Friday got cancelled and changed to next Friday the 18th.
    And since the 2 would take an hour of laying still she gave me the option of having the spine done on the 19th.

Then on the 22nd I have a consult for the X-ray I had of my shoulder and spine last week..the 23rd I have my regular dr appt.

Thankfully mammogram isn't til nov. 8.

Lots of tests and appts this month.

10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm so glad today was my last appointment and no more tests for now....just waiting on results. I hope all your tests and appointments come out just fine Chrissy. :)

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Well I am happy to say that both my mammogram and my Cologuard colon cancer screening test both came back just fine. :)

All in all I'm doing good...just getting older and feeling it most days. :)

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Great news, Babs!!

My MRI has been changed again. Instead of tomorrow it's next Friday. I don't mind but I'm always stressed before it and now I have another week to stress ...by the time they find out why my shoulder hurts, I'll have an ulcer. :(

Plus Ive stayed at home instead of being at my daughter's longer.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  14. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks Chrissy. I'd be really stressed if I had to do an MRI too...but I hope it comes out fine for you and the Doctor can find something to help your shoulder pain. I also hope you don't get an ulcer from having to wait and get to spend some extra time with your daughter again soon. :)

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks...right now I'm just kind of happy that I don't have to go tomorrow. I'll sleep,well tonight. :)

Next week will be busy enough. Tuesday I have a consult about the X-ray that was done on my shoulder and spine but I was hoping to have the MRI results by then but won't now.

Then Wednesday I have a reg dr appt and then Friday I have the MRI...maybe. :)