National Hurricane Center Predicts Near Or Above Normal Hurricane Season

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Gary Ridenour, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

didn't we just sing this song??

Hurricane Irma strengthened Thursday into a Category 3 storm with 115 mph sustained winds and is forecast to be an "extremely dangerous" storm for the next several days, according to the National Hurricane Center.

In its 5 p.m. ET advisory, the NHC said the storm was located over the Eastern Atlantic Ocean, about 720 miles west of the Cabo Verde Islands, moving west-northwest at 12 mph.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/0...icane-forecast-to-be-extremely-dangerous.html

2. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm a bit more worried about Jose at this point.

3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

We need to pray that it doesn't hit Texas.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

At this point, it is pretty at away, but the projection does show it headed towards the Gulf as opposed to up the East Coast. Neither one is good; but Texas is already in such a devastated shape and so much flooding still coming out of the rivers, that it would be truly horrible should another storm go there.

I don't see any storm called Jose. Where is it at ? It is not showing on my NOAA hurricane page.

EDIT:
    Okay, I think that Jose must be the one coming upthrough Mexico and then into the Gulf, and yes, I think that it needs to be watched.
    The prediction for Irma is that it can strengthen into a cat 5, and then hit the East Coast. Not Good !

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  5. Harry Havens

Registered

I don't see any storm called Jose. Where is it at ? It is not showing on my NOAA hurricane page.
    You have to click on the 5 day forecast and then you will see this...
    upload_2017-8-31_19-26-25.png
    The site says within 5 days, but some longer range models are suggesting tropical storm status following near path of Harvey, but without the intensity of Harvey. Rainfall not so sure.

Then there is the Euro and GFS models looking out at 9-7, With most people leaning towards the GFS model. Correction... they lean more towards the Euro model!!
    upload_2017-8-31_19-29-31.png
    Don't get too excited about the arrows. A lot can change across all the models in the next 5 days.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Tornado warning for Nashville, flash-flooding warnings.
    We are watching Irma closely. Hoping for the best for Texas.
    Still planning to head to Florida this weekend.

7. Yvonne Smith

We have tornado warnings here in Huntsville, too, @Tim Burr ; but so far all we have had is some wind and not even any rain, although that could still happpen. It definitely looks like Tennessee is getting the worst of it, from what our radar looks like.

Be safe on your trip to Florida !
    Be sure and keep your eye on what Irma is doing; because at this point, it could change course and come ashore just about anywhere.

8. Harry Havens

Registered

Have a good trip and don't worry about Irma until around the 8th of 9th. This blending of multiple Euro and GFS models look like this...
    upload_2017-8-31_19-54-10.png
    That's about 240 hours of speculation.

9. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Getting a headache looking at that map :eek:

We'll keep an eye on that one. If we have to cut it short, it's just a vacation.
    Others have it worse.

10. Harry Havens

Registered

A lot can happen in the space of 24~48 hours...This from August 23rd...
    upload_2017-8-31_20-21-18.png
    If you wonder about some of the decisions made, this should help explain some of them.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Another darn hurricane! A lot of folks love living along the Gulf Coast, Florida and the East Coast, but these darn hurricanes are a real pain. BUT, there are still tornado's, snowstorms/blizzards, heat waves and earthquakes, so some type of bad weather hits besides hurricanes.

It's just that the Gulf Coast doesn't need any more destructive weather and some of our coastal communties are still rebuilding since Mathew was 50 miles off of our coast last year.

Gary Ridenour likes this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

I totally agree with what you are saying , @Cody Fousnaugh , and I can see why you would want to move. No matter where we live, there are always weather issues, whether it is hurricanes , earthquakes of blizzards. We all just have to decide which weather conditions we can live with , and why we want to live there.
    I really miss north Idaho, although definitely not the cold, snow, and blizzards in the winter. However, my daughter, Robin, lives here, and that Is why Bobby and I moved out to Alabama. Chrissy lives close to her daughter, too, even though she doesn't like the heat all year around; so until she moves closer to her daughter's house, she is pretty much stuck in Fresno, too.
    You are fortunate in that way, Cody, because you don't have family to be concerned about and can just go and live wherever you and your wife decide you want to live at.
    I would like to live along the West Coast of Washington or Oregon, but out there, you can have earthquakes. And sometimes, it seems to just rain and rain for days; so no matter where we choose to live, there are always considerations.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Although, it is said, that San Diego, CA has the best year-round weather in the U.S.. It sure was nice when I was stationed there onboard a Navy ship. However, during their winter months, obviously no snow, but overnight temps did get cool enough to wear a Navy issued Pecoat.

That is, for those that can afford to live in San Diego (safe areas).

14. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe we will be lucky and get some rain out of this one 085120_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

15. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I think the east coast might just get a big hurricane but like normal it seen the Dominican Republic and is heading away still hoping for a little rain.
    085648_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png