Nanny State

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Martin Alonzo, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree. My middle daughter was able to attend one of the new Charter Schools for her last year of High School and she finished her Senior years in just a few months. Each student was instructed through computer teaching and the students could work at their own pace. I don't know how Charter Schools are now, but for my middle daughter it was the answer to our prayers back then.

It isn't that our children and grandchildren don't want to learn, they all do. But "this one size fits all" teaching isn't working for them...and it shouldn't. If Private School is not affordable....Home Schooling is the next best option in my opinion.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

When my son was in high school, in Long Beach, he was having a lot of trouble in Algebra. He wasn't stupid by any means, but said that he just didn't understand it, and that the teacher would give them an easy example from the book, then assign them to complete more complex answers on tests and worksheets, and that he wouldn't explain anything beyond the sample questions that were in the book. When I spoke to his teacher about it, he told me that most of his students weren't having any trouble with it. I also had trouble with algebra so I ended up buying a teacher's edition of his textbook and figuring out how to do it myself so that I could explain it to him. Then, while he didn't excel in Algebra, he passed the course.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  4. Janice Martin

Janice Martin Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was so stunned by this post that it's taken me this long to reply to it...
    I do believe kids (all ages) deserve certain rights- like the right to be safe, the right to be respected as human beings- but teenagers do NOT have the right to make life-decisions, decisions that can impact for better or worse the rest of their lives.
    I'm wondering if individuals like you mentioned are even aware that young people are almost entirely focused on the present- a teen's brain is not yet fully developed, so it's perfectly normal for a teen to not look at what today's 'choices' might mean to their futures 10 or 20 years down the line. Plus even intelligent kids lack the maturity and experience to make life-altering decisions.

Diane Lane and Babs Hunt like this.
  5. Janice Martin

Janice Martin Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yesterday I bought the current issue (May 2016) of Reader's Digest, and it has an article on this topic.