Naming Our Pets

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Hal Pollner, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Shucks...this is probably too silly to post, but I'll go ahead anyway.....

Our Canines are named Barbie and Jackie.

Our Felines are named Annie and Sadie.

Our Reptilians (Desert Tortoises) are named Charlie, with 4 others whose names I don't know.

Our Avians (Parakeets) are named
    Stormy and Wichita.

Thank you,
    Curator Hal

Holly Saunders likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

If, BIG "if", we get another dog, which would be a Shih Tzu pup (female), we've already decided on a name...…...Daisy.

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

0d35249c-799d-4522-ad94-f12d95018736.jpg We have no pets now, but my daughter's dogs are like ours anyway...

We lost 2 this year to old age, and illness, :(..

now we have

Pixie - chihuahua

Digger - Labradoodle

Zeus - Doberman

Stanley - miniature Labradoodle

pictured..... Digger & Stanley the 2 doodles

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

That was the name of my son’s Basset hound....Daisy.

My dog is Pickles.

5. Hal Pollner

Registered

We had a Yellow Lab who we named Daisy. She stayed with us for 14-1/2 years.

People would say "Wow...how long is that in Human years?"

I would then tell them "14-1/2 years".

It's 14-1/2 years in Human years, Dog years, Elephant years, and Rattlesnake years!

Her registered AKC title was "Sunflower Buttercup Daisy"

Hal

6. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

We had a succession of guinea pigs when I was growing up. My dad would bring them home from his lab in his lunchbox. We would always name them Ginger and Pepper, every time. We start out with two, then BAM! there would be eight, followed by twenty and Mom would put her foot down and make us give them all away. Next year, we'd start all over again.

My daughter loved gerbils. They were all named Digger O'Dell and Mary Jack Armstrong. Didn't matter the gender (as if we could tell). Take your pick...Digger or Mary Jack.

My last pets were a couple of house rabbits. One came to us as a dwarf female. We named her Beatrix, shortened to Beezus. In no time at all, "she" proved to be neither dwarf nor female, so "his" name changed to Beezul, short for Beelzebub (aptly named). He was shortly joined by Weezul, because he looked (and acted) like a weasel.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My cats have been Kitty, Schicklgruber, Jude, Cousin, Little Girl, Baby Girl, Skunk, Cutie, Lydia, Bird, Obadiah, and Ella, although Cutie was originally named Kitty Who Likes Me, while Lydia's original name was Kitty Who Hates Me.

8. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

My first cat was a female kitten, named Puddy ("I tawt I taw a puddy tat"). Two years later we had 13 cats, 9 of them came all at once in two litters, and most of them looked alike. We gave up naming. A farmer came by and took most of them.

Fast forward to adult. My first cat was a drop off who I named Kitty, because she seemed to understand the universal call, "Here, kitty, kitty, kitty..." and I didn't want to confuse her.

The neighbor's cat out at the farm took up living in our barn, because they had a pack of dogs that ran loose. Then someone dropped off another cat who also took up in the barn. We called her Backup, just in case the neighbor's cat decided to move back home.

Then came 14 goats all at the same time. Two came with names (thank you). My mother finally said we needed to name them because, "The Brown One with the White Spot on his Nose" and "The White one with the Curly Hair on top of his Head," got to be too cumbersome. The most creative name was "One Horn" because apparently his horn removal job didn't go well.

My current cat has a name at the Vet's office, because they wouldn't treat her without a name, but I never use it. When I'm happy with her, I call her "Little One." When I'm not happy, her name is "Cat." She knows the difference.

9. Hal Pollner

Registered

nancy, you rascal...

hal

10. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

the dog i live with (my daughters dog)is named buddah

11. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

When I got my dog, Miki, she was so tiny that I wanted a name that matched her.

Miki girl .JPG

I didn't want to name her the usual "Tiny" or "Little Bit" so I consulted Mr. Google. I looked for words in other languages that meant small or little. I found Miki. So her name is Miki Girl which means Little Girl. I'm not sure what language it was in. I just looked for it again and couldn't find it.

Yvonne Smith and Holly Saunders like this.
  12. William DeFox

William DeFox Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

image.jpeg This is my sweet cat Lucky, who came to me as an emaciated stray who had suffered a tail amputation while he was out on his own. The tail stump was infected with the infection spreading. Over days I gained the little cat's confidence with food, building up his strength a little. Finally I was able to get him to the vet where it cost several hundred dollars to get the little guy straightened out, but I was emotionally invested in him by that point. Several years later, Lucky is now diabetic, and I give him insulin shots twice daily, paying several times per month for this treatment what I pay for my own meds...I guess you could say that this cat's name fits him, but I'm really the lucky one to have him!

Ken Anderson likes this.
  13. Hal Pollner

Registered

Bess, we also have a family member named Barbie!

Here she is:

Hal
    204 (2).JPG

14. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Thanks for sharing that one Hal!! Now, everyone knows my name, not the four I thought knew. It's okay though.
    Beautiful dog.

15. Hal Pollner

Registered

Bully!
    Hal