Name This Truck!

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Yvonne Smith, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When we make the trip from the hotel to the hospital each day, we go past this old red pickup parked along side of the highway. This morning we stopped, and Robin took a picture of it. There is nothing that she could find that said what brand of truck it is, and the back is a flatbed; so if there was ever a name on the tailgate, that part is now gone.
    @Corie Henson has been asking me to post pictures from my trip to Spokane; but this is probably not quite the trip photo that she had in mind. Sorry Corie, but it is what it is.
    Since I know we have some car buffs on this forum, I thought that maybe if I post the picture of the truck that shows the grill, someone might be able to tell what the make and year (or close) of the pickup is.
    image.jpeg

2. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith , Good to see you on line again, that must mean Michaelis doing well. He must be a strong individual.

As you know, I know nothing of vehicles. Is there a way to upload the photo to google, and ask them to identify it? I have wondered if this could be done with other subjects that I have come across.

Lara Moss likes this.
  3. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Good idea, Ina. So I just googled how to search an image and it said that Safari+ can do it (I have Safari7) but I can't do it because there is suppose to be a camera icon in the search box to click on and I don't have a camera icon anywhere.

Whenever I like a piece of art and want to post it online with the artist's name I ask Joe and he usually comes up with the name and lots of info about the artwork. He's either a genius, a magician, or he knows something techy that we don't :)

What a great photo and awesome truck find. I've been wondering about how Michael is doing too. No news is good news they say. Glad to hear that he is recovering.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm not much of a car fancier, much more with trucks. I don't remember seeing many trucks when I was young although I had loads of buses and jeepneys on my mind. That truck looks a vintage one and I have the impression that it is already junk. You might not believe that we have bigger trucks which are older than that truck in the pic that are still running. That's why road accidents involving old trucks are now being studied because some vintage trucks are still being used for business here.

5. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I'd say the pickup truck is a Studebaker, probably a 1948 model.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  6. Will Lawrence

Will Lawrence Veteran Member
    Registered

You've just wasted about 2 hours of my time that I'll never get back!!!!!:D

About the only pickup truck that has a similar grille is the 1937 Dodge. The "center hump" in the grille makes it unique. The headlights, though, don't seem to match with the Dodge. Yet, it almost appears the headlights may have been relocated to the fenders by an owner some decades ago. Probably fell off from the original mounting... you can sorta see where they would have been installed closer to the grille.

The late 30's GMC's and Chevrolets had some similar characteristics but none had that distinctive grille.

There were a plethora of pickup truck manufacturers back then. Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford, GMC, Plymouth, Willys, Packard, Studebaker, International Harvester... and probably more. By the early to mid-40's they grille and front ends had changed throughout the entire market. This is definitely a relic manufactured somewhere between 1935 and 1941. Hmmmm.... just now wonder if WWII dictated a change in less chrome and more painted steel for the trucks. That's about when we see a noticeable change. Maybe the chroming process either took too many raw materials or time as most everything was being used conservatively to make way for manufacturing of war materials. May have to do some more research.

Lara Moss and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

From this single front view picture, I would judge this "truck" to be a landscape art installation, made up of various parts from different models.

8. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

You're an artist Joe. Get to work.

9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Out of Order;)
    old_truck_.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
    Lara Moss likes this.
  10. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Nice painting, or this...Suspended Art Installation by Damian Ortega.
    And don't stop there...

cosmicthing.jpg car-parts-sculptures01-440x440.jpg

Miina car part sculpture.JPG

il_340x270.781028500_qq5r.jpg e80ce02dc887ebc109c8670320336b00.jpg

Ike Willis and Joe Riley like this.
  11. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

1947 EF Mack. I found it on a site for vintage trucks for sale musclecarranch.com.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

These 1937 GMC front profiles are similar.
    37gmc026.jpg
    1937-gmc-001.jpg

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  13. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I looked through several sites of vintage truck grilles and such. I never found anything like it. You've got my interest now. Next time you go there look inside to see if there's a name or ask the owner if he knows. I'm gettin' curious.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The truck is out in Spokane, Washington, @Sheldon Scott ; so it was one that we saw when I was out west for my son's operation, and not something that I can go back and check on again. We would pass it each day on our way from the hotel to the hospital; so one morning, Robin stopped and took pictures.
    She looked in the cab, and didn't see anything that identified it either, and there was no tailgate anymore since it had been made into a flatbed truck.

We even searched for that particular truck on the Internet to see if there was some information on what it was and why it was there. It was sitting on a pile of rocks along side the road; but there was nothing nearby that it seemed to be part of, and no way to tell how long it had been there.
    We also searched for vintage trucks and found several that were similar; but nothing with that exact same look.
    I do think that @Will Lawrence is correct about the headlights being moved, because you can see the wiring running down to where the headlights are at like they had just been bolted on right there at some point.

I just looked back through Robin's pictures of the truck, and here are a couple more that might be helpful. One is the side view, and the other is the inside of the cab.
    I think that we came to the conclusion that it most closely resembled an old Dodge, too.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  15. Will Lawrence

Will Lawrence Veteran Member
    Registered

At first I was convinced it was a '37 or '38 GMC. The thing that didn't match is how the center vertical grilled piece "humps up"... extends up beyond the rest of the grille. That "hump" is what I found with the Dodge trucks of that same time frame.

Yvonne Smith likes this.