My Worst Reaction to a Declaration of Love

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Avigail David, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

The worst I ever reacted to a declaration of love was the lost for words on my wedding day. I had not written and prepared my wedding vows and blessings to the only handsome man I ever loved. Shame on me! Beyond repair, my worst speech I ever said, or not said. I thought at that moment, I was a mistake. Not only as a budding beautiful wife, but a blossoming suffragist. Maybe, our officiating minister-- our brother-in-law-- our matchmaker, thought I was the wrong gal for his wife's sister-in-law. A mixed-up affair.

After hearing my man's vows of affirmation of love, I had laughed all the way through with mine. Especially, when the idea of "I will submit to you." Every time the word "submit" was said, I laughed. I couldn’t say the damned word! I didn't know why my issue of submission became a let's-talk-about-this-first... on my wedding day. I knew I agreed wholeheartedly about "submitting to each other." But with "wife, submit..." I laughed. Not a scornful laugh, but a challenged chuckle. Yes, that's what it was!

Twenty-eight years past-- after several children-- still madly in love with my husband-- with many disagreements and freedom-of-speech said-- I am amazed at how my husband has put up with me. And still declares his love for me.

Allison Schuck and John Donovan like this.
  2. Oracle May

Oracle May Veteran Member
    Registered

This does sound wonderful. I am so happy for you, that what you originally thought may have started out a little bumpy on your wedding day has turn into probably your greatest blessing.

Not everyone is so lucky. They don't all always manage to work things out and some just stay together because they have nowhere else to go. It is always shocking to see couples that seemed to be happily married and inseparable for so many years, suddenly part. I always find this heart breaking.

3. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I am glad to hear you are still happy and together. I can understand the laugh every time you heard "submit" for me it was obey that word did not sit well with me, mine didn't workout.

4. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

Hi @Oracle May Welcome! LOL! Still 7 times "bumps" along the way. Could have been 10 if I hadn't insisted on tubal ligation. Then, reversed if later on.

It's sad when marriages break up because of a lot of reasons why. What started out romantically sweet and lovely, turned sour and ugly. We've had many struggles, many discouraging-- but we stay for the sake of our promises to love each other, and for our children's sake.

5. Allison Schuck

Allison Schuck Veteran Member
    Registered

Great post Avigail. I laughed all the way through it, because I could identify with what you are saying. When I got married the word was "obey", (now I am truly telling my age, haha)......

I wonder if this is why so many people are now saying their own vows and the minister or justice just says the opening and closing words. hahaha.

Thanks for my morning "pick me up" laugh Avigail......and by the way, please accept my apology for previously calling you David. I didn't recognize the name Avigail and thought you were a man called David. I am sorry about that.