My Upcoming Absence Explained; The Nephews

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Frank Sanoica, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Mike, in Flagstaff, called me asking for advice. Seems his brother, Dan, in Kansas, has been imploring Mike to come back there from AZ to visit. Mike really does not relish the idea. He would go by Amtrak. So, he called me, suggesting he could pay Dan's airfare to fly from KS to AZ, one of the cheap gambling charter flights if available, and spend less than if he went to KS. AND, we all three could meet up here. (Dan is embroiled in an on-going wife-spendthrift problem). My wife immediately checked: Sun Country had a flight scheduled from Topeka on Dec. 4. I called Dan last night. I expected less, but he seemed highly agreeable, though he had to had to check with his boss. (He has been forced, at 70, to return to work to pay off his wife's "generosity to a fault", as he calls it). I jokingly said, you mean "bosses"!

I grew up with Dan like he was a brother. He was born when I was 5. My Mother cared for us both as his divorced mother worked. Uncle at 5, nephew was "little brother". Over the lifetime of years, we grew apart, unfortunately.

Dan called this evening. It's all set up! He sounded more upbeat than in the past year or so. He was out here in April, 2015. I am just unable to express to him how happy I will be to be able to spend some time with him. Mike will drive down from Flagstaff, only 180 miles, and the reunion will be complete! My wife cringed a bit, referring to the late-night reminiscing, then recalled she has free nights offered at the Tropicana, and may leave us to our wiles for several nights.

Come a week from Monday, I may not be around for about a week. You can all cheer, I suppose, and get away with it, as no one will know whether happiness abounds for this old fart, or pleasure emerges knowing he may be incognito!

Thank you guys for your support! Frank

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Least you let us know you may not be around for a bit. We all would be concerned otherwise. Enjoy your visit !

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Well, we'll leave the lights on for you, Frank. Hurry back.

4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I'll leave our Christmas lights up for you Frank...and I hope you have a good time with your Nephews. I know your wife is going to enjoy her time to herself. :)

5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

If I'm reading this right, you're leaving tomorrow. Have fun, behave yourself, don't do anything I wouldn't do. ;)

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  6. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Go and make good memories @Frank Sanoica. Remember to take lots of pictures that you can share with us. When I travel I always need an hour or so at the end of the day to assimilate all the excitement. That’s the perfect time to check online things like messages. (Us too maybe) That way we can travel vicariously with you. We’ll be here when you return. Have a “Great” time young fella. :p :D

I hope your ladywife doesn’t have to go on her getaway all by herself. :confused:

7. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Shirley Martin
    A week from tomorrow. Depending on the wishes of the nephews to be alone now and then, (which I can understand; as the eldest of the trio, I always seem to be interfering.....), I should have a little time to sneak in.
    Frank

Ina I. Wonder and Shirley Martin like this.
  8. Frank Sanoica

Registered

Ha! Well she dang well BETTER be by herself........;)
    Frank

Ina I. Wonder and Shirley Martin like this.
  9. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

10. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

No silly man, you know what I meant. Hopefully the ladywife has a girl friend or two, so she can do as you. :D

Oh, you just reminded me. I have a question, although I’m pretty sure I know (hope) the answer. Do you have a working knowledge of those zero turn lawnmowers.

Mine went through the flood waters of Harvey. Believe it or not it still starts right up, but the brakes seem to be locked up. My grandson, of no mechanical skills, has been watching YouTube to try and get an idea of what might be wrong. So far he’s thinking the brake electrical system is shorted out, He’s tried WD49 on all the braking assembly parts, but those brakes won’t budge. :mad:

Any ideas?? :confused:

11. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Ina I. Wonder
    First, yes, right on. I am as silly as can be! Keeps me young at my age!
    Second, no, neither of us know anyone living here as "friends". The nearest neighbor is part-time, lives in CA, we belong to no social functions like, what, seniors? Our life-long friends as well as relatives live back east. But, my wife is as much a "loner", ALMOST, as I am. I had friends, a few, when younger, but that changed with the several country-wide moves I made.
    Third, very little understanding of the zero-turns, except I can second-guess some of the concept involved. The braking system is likely used to "spin" the mower around while not travelling forward. This would be a take-off on the concept used by farm tractors since day one. They have 2 brake pedals, one for left rear wheel, the other for the right. While moving forward slowly, locking one rear wheel made the tractor "turn on a dime". Beyond that, I am useless. Frank

12. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Thank you @Frank Sanoica, I knew you are mechanically incline, so I thought it was worth a shot. Youtube and friends are the only options aside from a shop, but we can’t even get the darn thing to roll even an inch to be able to get it on the trailer, much less to a repair shop.

13. Frank Sanoica

Registered

The nephews' visit is over. Early this morning, Dan, the older, flew back to Topeka on his Sun Country Airlines charter flight. We did our "good-byes" yesterday evening when the two of them were leaving our house. Dan's trip was subsidized by the Riverside Hotel, while Mike, the younger, had been offered 3 free nights at the Edgewater Hotel, two "doors" away, with the imposing Aquarius property in between, each occupying perhaps a thousand feet of riverfront. Mike had driven down from Flagstaff, 180 miles. Thus, they had "wheels". Yesterday and the day before, the two of them helped me do some difficult work in my shop in preparation for a car lift installation. Yesterday, my wife prepared a multi-tiered Czech meal reminiscent of the old days when they and I were kids: Turkey, dumplings, sauerkraut, sweet potatoes, gravy. We all gorged ourselves!

Both of my nephews return to home lives of unhappiness, Dan, to a spendthrift, Mike, to a Hawaiian-born of Chinese descent who explains away her violent behavior as being due to inherited "warier-mentality.

Dan is broke. Mike retired from the state educational system comfortably; he funded the $349 for Dan's charter. I slipped Dan a hundred bucks, proclaiming it a Christmas gift. He was very surprised, and appreciative.

My wife may have been happiest of all. She relishes the return to normalcy: less eating out, less eating in general, less drunken boisterousness, more sleep-inducing quiet time. I wonder if it might be the last time.........

Frank

14. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm glad you got to spend some time with your Nephews @Frank Sanoica.