My Ultimate Japan Dream!

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Eilynne Medalla, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Eilynne Medalla

Eilynne Medalla Veteran Member
    Registered

I love everything Japanese! I’ve been fascinated by its people, their country, culture, cuisine, craftsmanship in everything they create, etc. My deep appreciation & heartfelt admiration for Japan culminates into an intense desire to experience Japan first-hand by way of teaching English to its people. I know I have it in me to create an exciting learning environment for the Japanese, young and old alike. I am equipped with communication skills, strategies and methodologies to stimulate their interest, inspire and encourage them to learn English, transforming them to become dynamic individuals who will make their mark in the world.

I take pride in my ability to work with diverse types of people and skilled in adjusting my speech to cover the limited comprehension or vocabulary of other nationalities. I will highlight and place much emphasis in the importance of learning through use and constant practice of speaking English, that the primary goal is not accuracy of use (this comes later) but to succeed in getting your message across.

This is my way of showing appreciation and gratitude for Japan’s compassion and generosity towards other countries devastated by natural calamities. Parallel to teaching, I commit myself to learn/speak Japanese fluently. This is my way to actualize my experience by being the best Volunteer Japanese language teacher in my own country, propagate Japan’s cultural heritage, promote continuing education in Japan and do volunteer work for their various projects. I will spread my new found knowledge that Japan is more than just a “mystic unknown & sumo-wrestling” country but a modern one unique on its own but deeply rooted in time-honored tradition. All these and more to promote/sustain mutual understanding & inter-cultural exchange to further strengthen the strategic role that Japan plays globally.

However, because of my age, I know for certain that the possibility of being considered as an English Teacher in Japan is remote. But my love for everything Japanese will always be ingrained in my heart of hearts! God still has the final say as written in Luke 1:37 “With man it is impossible, but not with God. For all things are possible with God.”

2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I am your opposite. I do not like Japanese food and although I admire the Japanese for their cleanliness, I have no desire to visit their country. Maybe it's the orientation I got when I was young. You see, our country was colonized by Japan in the second world war and when I was born, the people were still having those vivid memories of the war, they seemed to have difficulty in moving on. War stories was a pastime of the elders and we children would hear those. By the way, the earlier generation were pro-Americans and naturally anti-Japanese.

When we grew up, we love anything from America. Even if it's not right, that's our culture then. But when the Japanese came back to give us business, the population softened and now the younger generation have no hangups with the Japanese. These are the modern times that is called globalization.

Ike Willis likes this.
  3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:Fantastic! Don't count your chickens before they hatch, please. Japan needs dedicated & kind teachers like you. I don't know of any programs for teachers to teach in Japan, sorry. Your enthusiasm & keen desire to teach in Japan the English language is astounding. I don't know if Japan has any adult education. Have you tried the Japanese Cultural Center? We have one here in Hawaii on Oahu. http://jcch.com/ is their web site. My Mom was just watching their programs to honor Americans who contributed to Japan and Hawaii like
    Jesse Kuhaulua better known as Takamiyama Daigoro and Krisstti Yamaguchi. It was a gala event "Sharing the Spirit of Aloha" and the attendees were to include Gov. Ige! The Japanese Cultural Center has ties to Japan too so it could be a good place to start your lifelong dream of being a teacher in Japan. Uprooting at our age is different and if you are up to it I think the Japanese Cultural Center is a good place to begin to inquire about your quest or you could get referrals as where to start your teaching quest. Good luck!

4. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Good morning Krisstinna. I've been a member here for not even 5 minutes and first face I see is yours with a pretty smile and cheerful disposition. I already like this place! I've only visited Hawaii twice for vacations but I fell in love with it. I also love japan, everything about it, as I lived there when I was a pre-teen for 3 years. Okay, I hope this post works…my first click :)

Ike Willis likes this.
  5. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Japan has always interested me, ever since my grade school years. The speed with which the Japanese people went, from a medieval type existence to modern times fascinates me. The skill and craftsmanship exhibited in some of their art and products is amazing.

6. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh yes, I remember they excelled in silkscreen, watercolor, and woodblock art. I loved how steeped in tradition they are and their respect for family. We lived in the village of Hayama in a traditional, house near the beach. They were always polite to me. I miss the sights, sounds, smells…such a different culture and one that is a pleasure to experience.

7. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

We have several friends that are from Japan. When my son was in college he attended the university with his girlfriend and they would meet many Japanese students. Our university shares an exchange program with Kanazawa University which is on the same geographical latitude line I think. Anyway last year we met an exchange student named Yuka and she was the sweetest person we ever met, but had no idea what was in store for the winter in New York. Even though she is now close to graduated and back home, we still Skype and talk often. My son would like to go to see the graduation commencement for the students in Kanazawa Japan.

I felt as a mother, if my child was in a strange land for many months. I would like to know there was someone that would be looking out for the things that might not occur to the student as being important. This year we greeted the new students from Kanazawa at the airport and took them to the dorm. because they are seldom native speakers we help them get settled in by taking them to the store to get some supplies and giving them resource information on things like how to get a phone and what campus cash is used for. You don't pry in every aspect of life the student experiences, you just act as a liaison to make sure they are not taken advantage of or left to freeze. we always try to manage a few cultural events in the area and some sight seeing so the experience is memorable. This year we have two students and they are terrific young people. It was a pleasure watching them try kettle corn and pizza for the first time. Soon we will shop for winter coats.

Ike Willis likes this.