My Trip To Trader Joe's And Delicate Squash

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Chrissy Cross, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I bought a bunch of this and that for almost $50! One thing I bought was the delicate squash, does anyone know the best way to make it?

I did but a mum plant and 2 pkgs of ground turkey so I'll make it all and then just add diffrent things to it as I go along.

I also bought and already tried the salty chocolate chip cookie bars...a mistake because they are so good.

Took a pic of the squash and a few of the goodies I bought...not in the picture are 2 cans of pumpkin purée, flaxseed bread and water.

2. Chrissy Cross

Registered

3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Well since nobody replied about the delicata squash, I looked it up. Seems the skin is tender enough to eat so no peeling. After I try it, I'll buy some more at TJ's because I read it's a shorter growing season than Butternut squash.

The one I bought was 99 cents...that's how much they all were and were all about that size. It will make two servings for me as a side.

This looked good but I saw a whole bunch of recipes to try also.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/roasted-delicata-squash-with-turmeric/

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  4. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

It sounds interesting. I will have to try it some time. I made Butternut Squash about a week a go in a crockpot. I think that a squash you don't have to peel would be awesome. I guess that a delicata squash might be the best way to get the squash flavor without all the peeling and cutting that goes along with making butternut squash. It sounds quite affordable too. I really like Trader Joes however, sadly there is not one around here. The closest one is 45 minutes away...but if I am in the area, I will go to it.

5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Hmm, I've heard of delicata squash, but am not sure if I've ever tasted it. My parents were big into vegetables (as am I) and would experiment, but I tend to stick to the basics, mainly because that's all my budget permits at this time. It does look familiar, though. If I see it in the store I will pick it up, now that I know how easy it is to prepare. It looks yummy sliced up like that, almost like a flower.

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I haven't made it yet, probably tomorrow. I love acorn and butternut squash and make them a lot but I hate how hard it is to even cut in half....I have to soften a bit in the micro sometimes just to do that.

At 99 cents for a squash, the price is good...usually the others go by weight and can get expensive.

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. Debbie Seattle

Debbie Seattle Veteran Member
    Registered

I throw squash into my mix of roasted root veggies and bake.

8. Diane Lane

Registered

Yes, they sure can get expensive, @Chrissy Page, that's why despite loving them, I rarely get to eat them. I would jump on that sale, for sure. I agree, the others are often difficult to cut, and I've sliced myself when the squash shifted. That's one reason I really don't like this kitchen. There's so little counter space that I usually end up positioning the cutting board over the lip of the sink and it sometimes shifts. I almost cut my thumb off last year when I was cutting cabbage for cole slaw. Maybe it's a good thing squash is so expensive, perhaps it's saved my life. :p

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I love roasted root veggies!

Diane Lane likes this.
  11. Diane Lane

Registered

It never would have occurred to me to soften the squash slightly in the microwave before slicing it. The stores sell some other fruits and veggies sliced, so I wonder why they don't do that for at least a few of the ones on sale. It would attract me, since it would be cheaper and could also save me from losing a hand ;). Even just being sliced in half would be helpful. I know they wouldn't want to do that for a bunch, in case they didn't sell, but I often buy a slice of watermelon or cubed melon, and selling the squashes that way would probably be attractive to others who also live alone, or even couples.

12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

You're right and I don't know why they don't cut squash in half...I'd buy it. I'd be even happier if they scooped out the seeds. :)

13. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

You gave me a good laugh with that line, huh, and a good coughing too. I remember having tasted salty cookies only once and I wonder where I could find one. The most popular cookies here are the big ones like Mrs. Fields (I'm sure you have it there) with the visible raisins and nuts. But those big cookies are sweet especially the chocolate flavored. With the delicate squash, I think we can make it here because we have squash here although of a different variety and turkey which can be substituted by chicken, I suppose.

14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

I too see this squash in Safeway a very expensive store for veggies. I haven't bought it for I didn't really know what to do with it. This site explains how and what delicate squash. Delicate squash is quite a nutritional little squash which is easy to cook and tastes like sweet potatoes well it can be made into a pie that doesn't need sugar too I suppose. If cheap enough I'm going to get some delicate squash now thanks to you Chrissy, I'm going to buy.

15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have had delicata squash before, but it was a long time ago, and I really don't remember how we cooked it; but I think that I sliced it (after de-seeding it) and then steamed it on the stove and had it with butter. Both of us love all kinds of squash, but butternut is my very most favorite.
    Of the summer squash, we like zucchini much better than the yellow crooked neck squash. However, I have that spiralizer that I got last summer, and I am going to try using the yellow squash as a veggie pasta, since it is about the right color, and a very bland taste.
    Spaghetti squash is one of my favorites, too, although it does not have the beautiful golden color that most of the other winter squash has.