My Son Is Having A Triple Bypass Next Week

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Yvonne Smith, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

They found that my younger son, who is 46, has several clogged arteries near his heart. They scheduled him for a procedure on Monday of this week.
    However, they found that his arteries were too bad for them to just put in stents like they were intending to do; so basically, they were not able to do anything to help him at all.
    When they released him to go home, they said that they would schedule an open-heart surgery for him.
    He told me he was seeing the doctor around the middle of December, and he thought the operation would be sometime in January.

Apparently, after reviewing what they saw yesterday, the doctors decided that it was much more urgent than they thought it would be, and they have now scheduled the operation for next Monday. They will be doing a triple bypass, which should help his heart a lot once it is done and he recovers. He has two completely clogged arteries, and one that is 80%, from what he told me.

My daughter, Robin (that girl has angel wings) is getting tickets for us to fly out to Spokane this Saturday and be there with Michael when he has the operation.
    She has reserved a room for 4 so that Mike and his wife can also stay there, since they live about 100 miles north of Spokane, and the roads are bad this time of year.
    I know that this will also be a big support for Christina (Mike's wife) because she was pretty distraught when he was in the hospital for the procedure yesterday.
    I do not know how long Mike will be in the hospital; but we are going to be there from this weekend, and come back home next Saturday, so we will at least be there while he goes through the operation and the first few days of recovery.

I am not sure how much I will be online for the next week, although I will be taking along the iPad and the Kindle as well. I will check in when I can and let everyone know how things are going and how the operation goes.
    Thank you to everyone who has offered prayers and well-wishes , and I deeply appreciate it !

Mike and Christina....
    image.jpeg

2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

What a sad and scary news for you. I fervently pray that the open heart surgery will go smoothly and your son will be walking the day after the operation. I have several friends who had a heart bypass and their recovery were all good and they're doing fine. On Saturday, we have a reunion of my old office and one of my colleagues had a bypass some 5 years ago. He is still drinking beer at age 80 now. Your son has the advantage of age because 46 is still young and that would give him the strength to recover in no time at all.

Ruby Begonia and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That procedure has been done so often now that it's not nearly as dangerous as it used to be, yet open heart surgery will probably never be routine; perhaps for the surgeon, but not for patients and family members. Your son will be in my prayers.

4. Ken N Louis

Ken N Louis Veteran Member
    Registered

1 ditto.gif ...Hope all goes well...

Ina I. Wonder and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Tis' the season for miracles.
    I'll be praying for strength for your whole family
    wisdom for the doctors, courage for your son
    and a here's big hug for Robin too...
    ….and of course, for a special miracle for a special family

images-1.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  6. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I wish him well.

7. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I hope he makes a full recovery and can get back to normal soon.

8. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

OH Yvonne...I've just seen this. what a worrying time this must be for you and your family...

I wish Michael every success with his operation and a really good recovery..

Yvonne Smith and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  9. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

…and what a sweet photo of your son and his wife surrounded by angels.

10. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Yvonne, prayer still being offered.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh, my dearest friend, you know my heart is with you. I will be watching for your updates. Open your heart, and let the Creator calm you. Please be safe, and lean on Robin.

Holly Saunders and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Will be sending special prayers for your son, Yvonne! So sweet of your daughter to do what she did so that you can be there!

My daughter's father in law just had heart surgery today, an aortic valve replacement and a pacemaker, he's 75, diabetic and has a slow growing cancer (not prostrate) and he did fine.

Let us know how things are going if you have time. Hugs!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

I hope all goes well for you and your family. As said your brother is young, so this could work to his advantage. Let us know how it goes when you have to time. I will keep good thoughts for you.

Yvonne Smith likes this.