My Recent Online Purchases - What Were Yours?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Haha. Well, I'm short and I don't bounce very high. So far the ceiling has not been a concern.

John Brunner likes this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

- Digital multimeter
    - 12 volt battery maintainer/charger
    - 1 pair work shoes

Finally found a shoe with thick soles that comes in a truly narrow width, not just a tag that says narrow. It hurts me to buy expensive shoes just to work in, but it's either that, or quit working outdoors.

upload_2020-8-7_13-6-54.png

John Brunner likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

So where do you buy your shoes? How was the process (buying without being able to try them on)?

4. Nancy Hart

Registered

The size thing is what kept me from ordering shoes online for years, but I got desperate and gambled. Most shoe stores online are good about returns, but I hate dealing with returns in the mail so much I'd almost rather take the loss.

The shoe brand name is Propet (made in China of course). They offer narrow and extra narrow (slim). I ordered them from HealthyFeetStore.com, but I've since run across a place that is a little cheaper online. They show how to trace your feet on a piece of paper and choose the best size.

This is the 2nd pair. The first pair was fine, but I think a half smaller size might be better. If this pair is better I may order 20 more pairs, before they quit making them. lol The only thing I don't like is the tops are soft leather and tend to run over working outside.

You can get them in town here, but only at one orthopedic clinic.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    John Brunner likes this.
  5. John Brunner

Thanks! I'm glad you found something that works for you. And you're smart to stock up while you can.

I can't even name any brick&mortar shoe stores that are still around me. Sears, Hechts and Penneys are gone, much less Thom McCann et al.

I need new work boots and my only choices are Walmart and Tractor Supply.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Looks like Amazon has a selection of Propet shoes, @Nancy Hart . If you are a Prime member, they have the Prime Wardrobe thing where you can order stuff to try on and they only charge you for what you keep.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I ordered an infrared thermometer and a pulse oximeter from Amazon; they should be here tomorrow. Since my MIL has been exposed to Covid-19 my husband will be checking her temp daily.

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I recently ordered a Lenrue wireless speaker for my Kindle. I can listen to music on YouTube on my Kindle but the sound is kind of tinny. So I ordered the speaker. I am totally amazed at the quality of the sound. It's so small that I was a bit disappointed when I opened it. I thought it couldn't possibly be a good speaker. I was wrong. It's a great speaker.

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  9. John Brunner

That stinks! I assume she got exposed through a friend (not that it's any of my business.) I hope all are OK.

So which IR thermometer did you choose, if I may ask? I was looking for one because none of the oral thermometers I have seem to be fast or accurate. I always get hung up on negative reviews for just about anything I buy, and it frequently makes me walk away without pulling the trigger. IR thermometers are one of those things (although I got one for measuring the temp of things and not humans.)

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I was whining about the MIL in the "Pit and Peak of Your Day" thread. She was exposed by a home health care worker... GRRRRRRRRRRRRR. (She has Visiting "Angels" check on her twice a day and one of them has just tested positive. :rolleyes:) Anyway, this is the thermometer I ordered, and in typical Amazon fashion, it was $39 two days ago... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075QQ8VZW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My husband has an IR thermometer that he uses for "mechanical" things, like to check the temperature of wheels/brakes on the motorhome. Not sure what that's all about but I humor him.

John Brunner likes this.
  11. John Brunner

Sorry about the MIL. Yeh those people who are in & out of a bunch of homes are gonna be a risk.

Let us know how you like that thermometer.

Regarding your husband's toy...I've got one, too. I love it (although I wish I had sprung for the next one up.) I check for hot & cold spots in my hallway when I use my wood stove, and check the wood stove's temp. It's great for measuring the temp coming out of the floor registers.

If you want to impress him (even more than I'm sure you already have), bone up on "emissivity" and then have a conversation with him as though you really care about it. "Gee, honey, I guess the IR thermometer I bought for your mom is permanently adjusted for the emissivity of humans." Then opine on how tough it is to get a reliable IR reading on aluminum.

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

LOL

13. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Nancy Hart
    Me and hubby have hard time with shoes. Usually buy at Sass...expensive. But recently I bought these online at Amazon.
    Dunes..I loved these shoes. Going to buy another pair. True to size and width..also wash up real nice in the washing machine..air dry !

Attached Files:

14. Nancy Hart

Registered

Those look nice, like they have thick soles. I need a pair to just slip on and wear around the house. Not sure about out in the woods.

Are those the same SAS shoes made in San Antonio, TX? Also very expensive. I think it's about the only major shoe mfg company still in the US. A friend used to buy only SAS shoes. Back before online shopping he would drive 40 miles to a store in one of those Tanger outlets to get them. They must be good.

John Brunner likes this.
  15. John Brunner

I'm like that. Once I find something that fits and that I like, I'll spend my time driving to buy them rather that "shopping" for something different that I may not find.

That's what stank about Penney's going away. I used to buy nearly all of my clothes thee, from suits to casual stuff. I knew everything I liked and that fit in the Stafford line. I recently bought what I thought was a like-kind replacement for a Stafford heavy t-shirt with a small buttoned v-neck. Got them online at Penneys. Daggone things are about 1/4 the fabric thickness of the "same item" I got in the store.

Nancy Hart likes this.