My Reason For Being Here

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Frank Sanoica, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My name is Ken, and I'm in Maine. I think I changed planes in Chicago a couple of times.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

O'Hare is a crazy airport! :)

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Welcome, Frank, from Oklahoma.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  4. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

Welcome Frank from the central California mountains. My daughter's best friend was from Chicago and then she went back after several years.

5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you kindly! Wheee! I never looked back toward Chicago (much).

Say, your avatar is really nice! And to think I always heard California mountain living turned folks' hair "gray" (or is it "grey"). I have even forgotten how to spell........

I better look into this avatar business!

6. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

Gray? Not me, but my husband's hair is almost totally white and he is only 4 years older than me, so go figure. :) Gray is the U.S. spelling and grey is British. Either are accepted in this country though.

Ina I. Wonder and Terry Page like this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I had noticed that posts in the top of the forum, which is mainly questions, notices, and announcement do not count as posts; but what really puzzles me, @Ken Anderson , is that the game thread counts as posts, when they are usually only one word.
    Some of the people who play lots of games will get @Mari North's baby blue Lamborghini way before she writes that many posts......

Terry Page and Mari North like this.
  8. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith, People aren't playing games on the board for any rewards .. IMO.
    It's the mental stimulation of keeping our brains healthy. Seniors need that. There are many ways to do that, and playing games is one fun way.

Interesting article about the benefits of game play:

Play can:
    • Relieve stress. Play is fun and can trigger the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals. Endorphins promote an overall sense of well-being and can even temporarily relieve pain.
    • Improve brain function. Playing chess, completing puzzles, or pursuing other fun activities that challenge the brain can help prevent memory problems and improve brain function. The social interaction of playing with family and friends can also help ward off stress and depression.
    • Stimulate the mind and boost creativity. Young children often learn best when they are playing—and that principle applies to adults, as well. You’ll learn a new task better when it’s fun and you’re in a relaxed and playful mood. Play can also stimulate your imagination, helping you adapt and problem solve.
    • Improve relationships and your connection to others. Sharing laughter and fun can foster empathy, compassion, trust, and intimacy with others. Play doesn’t have to be a specific activity; it can also be a state of mind. Developing a playful nature can help you loosen up in stressful situations, break the ice with strangers, make new friends, and form new business relationships.
    • Keep you feeling young and energetic. In the words of George Bernard Shaw, “We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” Playing can boost your energy and vitality and even improve your resistance to disease, helping you feel your best.

http://www.helpguide.org/articles/emotional-health/benefits-of-play-for-adults.htm

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

It is true @Bonnie Thomas , they do keep your mind active. I don't really keep tabs on how many points I have( I'm lying) but I guess I can see where those that write Long posts (I don't) might see it as unfair. I really don't care unless there is a real prize involved. :)

I really don't deserve half my points as most were an "lol" or a picture.

Terry Page and Bonnie Thomas like this.
  10. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

First .. apologies to Frank, as this is his welcome thread.. :)... so Hi again Frank, and sorry ....

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that games have their place as much as any other topics do.
    The prize is a challenged mind!:D

11. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I was going to donate my points to Mari in exchange for a time share in her baby blue Lamborghini, so are you saying they are valueless [​IMG]

12. Terry Page

Registered

The number of "likes" are the value points really Yvonne you don't get many likes for games posts, but you get more for good posts, so we can have an auction of likes in exchange for points, to go towards the group baby blue Lamborghini

13. Terry Page

Registered

You saying it's a "Small World" reminded me of a radio programme recently, where they did an experiment to check out the "Six Degrees of Separation" theory that states everyone and everything is six or fewer steps away, by way of introduction, from any other person in the world, see here
    The experiment on the radio proved the theory true in this case.

14. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

I appreciate the desire to help me, @Terry Page .. that's very kind of you. I guess I'll just have to settle for a Ford or Chevy... it'll keep me humble. ;)

Terry Page likes this.
  15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

If I ever got to a point where there were actual rewards for points, the number of posts would be only a part of the scoring. Hopefully, people are here because they enjoy it here.

Bonnie Thomas and Chrissy Cross like this.