My Old Oxie

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Frank Sanoica, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Newly transplanted to Las Vegas from Chicago, and having finished and moved into a wonderful new custom home, we responded to an ad for 2 kittens, brother & sister; they were so alike color-wise that only size could be used to tell them apart. Boy & girl, the guy looked "big as an Ox", so he became Oxie. The girl was K.C.

One day, stepping down out of the kitchen into the garage, I saw that Oxie was engaged in mortal combat! He had cornered a very large Scorpion, and determined it must be dispatched! How this cat instinctively knew of the danger, I've never understood, but as he batted the scorpion with a front paw, quickly and decisively, then jumped up and away as the intruder vainly attempted to sting his paw, he succeeded in closing the match. Eventually, the scorpion expired, at which time the Ox probed gently under it with the underside of his paw, as cats are prone to do, turned the critter upside down on it's back, and walked away, happy and unscathed.

Such explains one of the many reasons why I love Cats!
    Frank

[​IMG]

One of the earliest pics, K.C. demanding attention, shortly after we got them. Obviously too young to be removed from momma....

Oblivious to the lawn sprayers, K.C. as usual moving about, several months later.

[​IMG]

About 2 years later, K.C. languishing on my desktop, next to my prized IBM Selectric....

[​IMG]

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Cats are very brave. :)

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm not gonna lie, I really dislike Cats ( ooops did I say that out loud?...don't ban me @Ken Anderson )..lol...I wouldn't harm them in any way but I've had a life long fear and allergy of them, and even looking at cats make me feel a bit *yikes*...like people with a spider phobia etc...but.. she says getting to the point the long way round... I have to admit those cats as kittens were sooo cute Frank..

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Louise Williams

Louise Williams Supreme Member
    Registered

Your cats are adorable Frank . Hubby and i have had cats all our married life. never had dogs. strangest thing tho as our neighbors dogs come to visit us often but that's another story. .LOL
    We have learned to keep our cats indoors tho ,as we have lost 2 cats by predators when we lived in Maine... Our Cats do not mind being indoors, they are fine with it as long as they have windows to see the outside and the birds are always so fascinating to them to watch along with the squirrels too,,. we see them flick their tails when watching the birds and the cats make strange noises if the birds get fairly close to the windows.. One of our oldest cats lived to be 21 yrs old. Hope your two beauties will live a long wonderful life too, Frank..

Frank Sanoica and Kate Ellery like this.
  5. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Beautiful kitties! Cats are the best. I can imagine no other pet. Cats are so special. Wild little animals who agree to live with us.

6. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

FF889961-F617-4EDF-AE6D-BC65EF2BC8B0.jpeg We house sat a Home in the city for 3 weeks over Christmas ,the housesitting included looking after this cat and 4 chooks ( chickens)
    This cat was so trusting he had only seen us once prior to us “moving” into his home .

The first night there he came and sat on the couch putting his paw on hubbies arm as if to say it’ll be OK .
    I felt for him ..having a family of two adults and two young children dissapearing overnight then a couple of strangers suddenly appearing in “his” home.

He was a little unsettled for a few days after this photo ,then he got to know us a little better and slept in the bed between us every night .

I became a little attached to him by the end of our 3 week stay ,I thought about getting one myself from the pets rescue where he came from ...but I soon settled down and thought NO ...don’t you dare ..it just wouldn’t be fair on a pet when we go away for a month each winter.
    By the way @Frank Sanoica I love the look on the face of the Puddy Cat ( as I call them ) KC on the desktop.

I love seeing your photos of your spoilt pampered cats @Louise Williams I’m sure yours really believe you are their servant :D:D

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    Bill Boggs and Frank Sanoica like this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Louise Williams "Hope your two beauties will live a long wonderful life too, Frank.."
    For the most part, they did, but are now both long-gone. The female, K.C., was attacked by dogs outside the home we rented while building our own house, and we never saw her again. The big guy, Oxie, lived happily quite a few years after that; he was 18 when he became too sick to continue on.
    Frank