My New Kindle Fire Has Arrived!

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Yvonne Smith, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Today the new Kindle fire with Alexa has arrived, and I just am getting it all charged and set up. I am amazed at the changes that they have made since the old one that I have been using, which was a fairly new version, but still probably several years old.
    Anyway, the new one is a beautiful golden yellow, and it works almost like my iPad does, with none of the padlocks to slide to open it and such as that. It walked me right through the registration process just like the iPad does, and it has all of my books on there already.
    I can also access Prime Reading with the Kindle now, so I won't have to browse on the iPad and then have it sent to the Kindle.
    It will take me a few days getting familiar with how everything works; but just as the first look, I am really happy that I got this new Kindle.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  2. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Very glad to hear you like it.
    Take your time and explore everything it can do.
    Enjoy.:)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith did you get one of those that were on the Amazon Prime sale. I hope so!!! The one that I bought for my brother at the first of the year, like to have driven this p-brain tech zombie mad. I'm really surprised I didn't blitz that poor little Kindle. ;););) :D

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Yeah, I have one of the new ones too - a larger one. I still use my older Fire to read while I'm in bed at night, and generally the one that I use for regular reading, while the larger one is the one that I use when researching something for work, since the larger screen helps with that. That's also the one I'll use to get online when I don't have my Macbook with me.

5. Yvonne Smith

Yes, I got one of the new ones on Prime Day, @Ina I. Wonder . I looked at the reviews on Youtube, and read a little about the new ones, and i thought that for $29, I just could not go wrong with this. My old one still works fine; but it was used when I bought it on ebay; so who knows how long it would last.
    Maybe a long time because Kindles seem to be well-made; but even so, it was pretty obsolete as far as the design, and this new one is a whole lot more responsive than the old one was, too.
    I am not likely to use the Alexa very much; but if I set it up with some speakers, I could have Alexa access my Amazon Prime Music, or even Pandora, and play music if i wanted to, or I could use the headphones.
    I am still waiting for my mini-trampoline to arrive; but maybe I would like having music when I am rebounding on the trampoline ?

Terry Page and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Up until recently, I had a Generation 1 Kindle that was still working fine. Until I sat on it.

7. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Yvonne, like you and ken and a few others here I have a paperwhite Kindle..an Ipad Air 2 ..and Amazon echo etc... as well as my Mac desktop..and my lappy.... so I have lots of ''toys''

I was tempted last year to buy the kindle fire, but was put off because of the negative reviews.. so once you've given it a good old try out for a week or 2 would you mind giving me a critique on it please ..before I decide whether to buy one or not... :D

8. Yvonne Smith

Because of the size difference between the Kindle and my iPad Pro (which is the size of a 13" laptop), and the fact that I have a keyboard case for the iPad, I always use the iPad for just about everything that I do online, and I only use the Kindle for reading .
    For most things, the iPad has a lot easier operating system, and I am also used to using it. However, this new Kindle has really been upgraded from the older models, and it functions smoothly just like the iPad does.
    I like having a Kindle because I can use the Kindle Lending Library, and I like that I can touch any word when I am reading and get a definition of the word.
    My goal with this new Kindle is to learn to be more versatile with using it; so that if I travel (like my recent trip out to Idaho) I can take along the Kindle and not need to bring the much larger iPad. I had to carry the iPad in my backpack, and it made the backpack a whole lot heavier than without it; but I didn't want to take a chance on leaving it in my luggage.

Once I adapt to the new Kindle, it will be similar to having an iPad Mini, and then I will probably look for a keyboard case for the Kindle that I can use when I take it somewhere. I much prefer having a real keyboard (even a smal one) than trying to type on the virtual keyboard.
    Anyway, I will be learning and will report back in after I have tried it for a while, @Holly Saunders .
    I used it for reading last night, and the size and weight are about the same as my older one.
    I have read that the resolution is not as good on this Kindle; but I didn't have any problem reading, and I don't usually watch movies.

9. Yvonne Smith

So far, I am really happy with the new Fire 7 Kindle. I think that it is more user-friendly than the older ones are. For one thing, the volume and on-off buttons are silver and stand out, where the old one had plain black buttons on the black tablet, and it was hard for me to find where they were.
    The use of the Home button is easier to access than the old one, too, and sometimes, I had trouble doing that when I was reading and wanted to use the home page or page back arrow, and it wouldn't come up when I touched it, and it just kept turning the pages on my book instead.
    This one seems to have eliminated that problem.
    The new one also has two cameras, which actually does not make any difference to me because I take pictures with the iPhone camera; but it does have that option if someone did want to take pictures with it.
    I re-homed the old Kindle Fire today, too.
    There is a friend who has never had a Kindle or even a computer, and when I explained to her that she can read and store books on it, and even watch movies if she has a wi-fi connection, she was just tickled pink !
    She said her son has one that he uses for reading, and she had asked him what was that little black thing and why did he keep tapping it ? So, he explained that he was reading a book, and that was how he turned the pages, and showed her a little bit about how they work.
    By the time that I had restored mine to factory settings and given it to her, Sharon had already called and told her son that she was getting a Kindle, and asked him to help her set it up; so I know that she is very excited about having it.
    Once she gets used to using a tablet to read instead of a paper book, I am sure that she will love it, and that makes me happy to know that I found a good home for the old Kindle.

10. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Good morning @Yvonne Smith :) , I've been waiting as @Holly Saunders has for you to get use to your new Kindle. And of course I have questions to ask you. I have been using my iPad for everything from reading to playing. I have stashed about 30 books in my iBook app and about 20 in my Kindle app. My question is, can I transfer my iBooks to my new Kindle without loose them? I thinking I don't have to transfer my Kindle library as it should automatically be there. Right or wrong?

Holly Saunders likes this.
  11. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Why are you buying new Kindles when you have an iPad. I have an older kindle probably a first or second edition but replaced it with an iPad long ago. Does the new Kindle Fire have have advantages over other tablets?

Ina I. Wonder and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

I can't speak for others, but I use different devices for a set purpose.

Have two 7" tablets, one I keep at work for the fact it has all my technical PDF's of equipment and fits in my uniform cargo pants pocket.
    The other one I use just for reading in bed when I get an ebook from the library. Size and weight is the driving factor, and if they go 'belly up' they are cheap to replace.:)

The old desktop computer and laptop are for more involved tasks and stay at home.

13. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Tim, I really like your Avatar photo. I enlarged it some trying to get a better look.

14. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Just a picture I found of an 'ole timer' sitting on a porch.
    I feel like this sometimes and reminds me to take things just a little bit slower and enjoy.

Terry Page and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

Once you have registered and signed in with your new Kindle, all of your books should be there on the new one, too. I don't think that you can transfer Apple material to a Kindle; so you probably can't transfer anything that you have on iBooks. I seldom buy iBooks because the same book is always cheaper from Amazon, so I have very few iBooks, and never needed to transfer them. Maybe someone else would have done this and have an answer for you, @Ina I. Wonder .

Ina I. Wonder likes this.