My Interesting Neighbors In Assisted Living

Discussion in 'People I Have Known' started by Lon Tanner, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Yeah Lon, capping really is shouting as I learned some time ago. Since then, I use the bold or italics buttons to emphasize a word or even place quote marks before and after whatever it is I am trying to stress. Asterisks work well also.
    Shouting is normally okay if it has a positive connotation but most of the time it denotes a form of anger which has been the source of many confrontations on forums such as this one.

That all said, I’m sure all of us would rather not think of where we will eventually live if or when we cannot take care of ourselves but it is a stark reality that we have to entertain.
    So....I’m glad you’re posting some of things you experience in your own situation because it does shed some light on the possibilities that might be presented to at least a few of us.

2. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

@Lon, I enjoy using a smaller font size for emphasis.

Hal

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Veteran Member
    Registered

@Hal Pollner

So, "smaller is better"?
    Frank

4. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Well, that's what my Significant Other keeps telling me...….

5. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Mary Robi

Ah, but regardless of things told to you, it remains for you to reveal your own position regarding resolution of the proposal! If you choose to........if you do not dispense with this as nonsense.........

if it truly matters! ;)

Frank

6. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Veteran Member
    Registered

A Assisted Living Love Story

My 92 year old next door neighbor George told me at breakfast this morning that he was thinking of flying to New York for a visit. He and I are pretty mobile with the use of our walkers and both relatively Sound Of Mind (at least at this point). I asked why the trip to New York. He told me that his wife died two years ago after a 71 year marriage and his conscience has been bothering him. He had met and married Marie here in Fresno. He met Marie while he was formally engaged to a woman in New York. He fell in love with Marie and cancelled the scheduled wedding with the New York woman and now his conscience was bothering him about that. He wants to see if she is still alive and if so ask if she would marry him. At this point Igot to wondering if George might be ready to transfer to the DEMENTIA section of our facility.

7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't know if he has dementia but I definitely think he needs counselling. If he is 92, she is almost certainly dead by now. If, by any chance she is still alive, she has probably long since forgotten him.

Lois Winters likes this.
  8. Lon Tanner

Registered

Now that I have lived for several months at Assisted Living and hearing better, I have had a chance to visit with a number of the residents. I thought every one living here had some kind of medical condition that required assistance. There are a number of senior single & married couples that have no health problems requiring daily assistance and have cars that they can still drive well. They just got tired of cooking for them- selves, doing home maintenance, paying property taxes. They sold their homes and live on the interest from the proceeds plus their Social Security and any pension benefits. They participate in the scheduled social activities that is provided by the facility. They all say that they are aware that because of their age they will no doubt develop medical problems that require assistance and living here would not require moving. So I guess it's not just me that was looking ahead.

9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Very Well-Known Member
    Task Force Registered

My mother-in-law developed an illness that required care, but when she recovered and was offered discharge, she elected to stay in the nursing home, since she had been there long enough to develop friendships and become comfortable with the system. She lived out the remainder of her life there and was always happy, or at least content, with that decision.

Lois Winters and Nancy Hart like this.
  10. Lon Tanner

Registered

Evelyn lives alone in the apartment next to mine here at Assisted Living, and like me, needs no real assistance except for our walkers. She is a well groomed, stately 6 ft 1 inch beauty.She likes me because I am 6 ft 4. I will ask permission to take her picture if I see her in the dining room for diner this evening. I will then post her pic on this site so you can see this lovely woman. Too bad I am not a little older.

11. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

How old is she Lon..?. 6 feet 1'' as a senior is very tall, she must have been quite a head turner when she was younger..

Lois Winters likes this.
  12. Lon Tanner

Registered

She is really 97 years old. Her son verified this for me. He is 74 and over six feet as well. AMAZING!!

Holly Saunders likes this.
  13. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Lon Tanner "Too bad I am not a little older."

Or, younger, maybe? ;)

Frank

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Lon Tanner

Registered

I see them in the dining room. They are mobile with either a cane or walker and they enjoy sitting together and exchanging war stories. I am the only Korean Vet as far as I know. Management has all the stats for this kind of thing.

15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Yeah, the WWII guys are indeed a rarity any longer but lest we forget, nearly 12.6 million guys or 20% of the male population of America served in WWII as compared to only 2 or so million guys in the Korean Conflict (war).