My Friend Who Embraced Jehovah's Witness

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Joy Martin, Aug 28, 2022.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

My JW friend sent me a Watchtower last month and on the cover it reads:

A Better World is Near

I keep It at My Desk as It's Up Lifting.

Bruce Andrew and John Brunner like this.
  2. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, they preach that, as it is directly out of the Bible -- somewhere in Timothy I believe. Other churches preach it too, but the JWs are more focused on that AFAIK. I'm not really in touch with them anymore. The one I was closest to, a real Car Guy who took good care of my Corvette, recently died of cancer.

It's been a long time, but as I recall: In Timothy they predict that we will see the immorality, hedonism, debauchery, etc. that we see today before The End Times. But this has all happened before in world history within the past 2,000 years, so who knows if this is the last time.

I doubt it will be, but I don't doubt that western civilization is probably doomed.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This thread reminds me of when Jesus was crucified and "the curtain was torn."

If that was supposed to put an end to intercessors, then why did Jesus talk to Peter about "building his church"? It would seem He was creating a similar system.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  4. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Well since I never read the bibles, I don't know about Timothy, hope our civilization is around for a lot longer.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Don't know about JW, but do know about Mormons. When I was going to a Jr. College, I stopped at the Institute of Religion, of which was run by Mormons. I got interested enough to take all, and note, "all", of their lessons to become a Mormon, but then, at the last second, decided not to. I thought of how much I was giving up to become a Mormon.

In fact, and we've never seen this before, we had a few young Mormon missionaries renting two different apartments here. The young ladies dress very "old style" with long dresses and the young guys were always in slacks, white shirt/tie. With all of them wearing the Church of Latter-Day Saints name plate.

Marie Mallery and Ken Anderson like this.
  6. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Many times it takes study to find answers then sometimes, we never find all the answers.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.