My Friend Who Embraced Jehovah's Witness

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Joy Martin, Aug 28, 2022.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

probably 20 yrs ago or more, and she's 85, and started to question Catholism in 5th grade, so was 11 or so, and I started to question it when I was in my 30's all from a huge wake up shake up in my life.

So what I see and feel in her is a Peace and she will NOT tune into the addicting world of politics.

Anyone have a JW in their life? And NO, I have no plans to bcome a JW.

Bruce Andrew likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have known several Jehovah's Witnesses. One of my coworkers at the paper bag plant was a Jehovah's Witness, and another was a Mormon. JW theology didn't come up often at work unless someone asked. He was a lot nicer than the Mormon but, then again, the Mormon was a jerk before he converted, and he remained a jerk as a Mormon, so I won't hold that against the whole religion, particularly since the Mormon missionaries lived across the street from our ambulance station later when I was working EMS in Los Fresnos, and they were all pretty nice people.

The JWs came by the house for a couple of months while I lived in Buena Park. I let them do their spiel, and they were both friendly enough, although they weren't very comfortable going off script and eventually lost interest in me when I kept doing that to them. I attended the Kingdom Hall a couple of times. Although I am not at all in agreement with their theology, they are dedicated, sincere people, and other Christian churches would grow more rapidly if they adopted some of the zeal shown by the Jehovah's Witnesses.

3. Joy Martin

Registered

I've had a couple JW door knockers but not in a lot of years. I wanted to hear none of as I was a deep deep catholic... That was Then. I don't believe it's a growing religion,

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

They are one of the fastest growing denominations.

5. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I've known several JWs in the past 40 years, first in work, which I then got to know personally. They are very nice people and remind me of my parents and all their friends when I was growing up. Different religion, but the basic values were the same.

They tried in vain to get me to "see the light," but gave up around 15 years ago. I'm a devout agnostic and am waiting patiently for some sign of a supreme being. Any sign.

So far, nothing. :( At age 72, I am no closer to it than I've ever been in my life.

Ken Anderson and Faye Fox like this.
  6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

The only thing I can say if interested in either organization, read about their history. Consider when they started and why.

Jehovah's Witness started in 1870. o_O

Mormonism started in 1830. o_O

Christ started his church 0000 ;)

Why was it over 1800 years before the truth was found?

I defy all labels as I believe the universe is the great spirit and in control of everything.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
    Bruce Andrew likes this.
  7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

My niece joined JW. They were warm and welcoming. Everything was fine until she started dating a man who was not a member of the congregation. Then a committee visited her and told her that if she wanted to remain a member, she had to stop dating an outsider.

Faye Fox likes this.
  8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Yep!

9. Joy Martin

Registered

Waiting for the Sign, I am too, but not stopping my life waiting. I suppose I'm a good agnostic as I have not locked the door for that sign. And I supposed there are many who are definite atheists. I'm 84 and no sign.

Faye Fox and Bruce Andrew like this.
  10. Bruce Andrew

Registered

That's a YOOGE rabbit hole that I grew up in.

All of them claim that their founders go back to and walked with Christ.

To me, that really isn't all that important, but it is to those churches who practice exclusivity.

"Only we know 'the truth', all other churches are 'of the world' and their members are going to hell for refusing to see 'the truth'."

Ridiculous.

Faye Fox likes this.
  11. Bruce Andrew

Registered

Haha, I'm right with you. :)

Faye Fox likes this.
  12. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

13. Bruce Andrew

Registered

Haha, Shirley! I've had this forever, but you reminded me to dig and find it:

Sign from god.jpg

Shirley Martin and Faye Fox like this.
  14. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I do not believe in any organized religion. As for JW ,when I was about 12 .Two JW came to our door with pamphlets, showing and telling about the very things that are going tin todays world. As a child i was some fearful, now more so, as it appears they were correct. :eek:

Bruce Andrew likes this.
  15. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Sure, but if you marry someone who is a Catholic and who wants to be married in a Catholic church, you may be asked to sign an agreement that the future sources of income uh, I mean your children shall be raised in the Catholic church. It's disgusting.

Beth Gallagher likes this.