My Father's Unusual Tastes

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Frank Sanoica, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Liver is good for you.. Most folks don't like liver because it is LIVER.. Yes it is rich but it is good for you...
    Either baby beef liver or chicken liver.. Both are good for you..
    Did I also say that liver is good for you.. Well, it is....

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, you did say that. :) I like liver... have a really great recipe for it but as soon as the discovery came 12 or 15 years ago about the extremely high amount of cholesterol in liver, I cut our consumption down drastically. Now it's more like once or twice a year... I am among the world's least health-conscious :rolleyes: but some things make more sense than others.

When I do want to dump cholesterol into my family's bodies, I try to get the calves liver. More tender.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that if our ancesstors could see what we eat, and what we don't eat and it goes to waste, they would be shocked by the change.
    We have become almost totally disconnected from our food, at least as far as the process of procurring it is concerned.
    People that had to either raise their own meat, or go out and hunt or fish to get it, were not apt to waste any parts of it that they could use for something.
    Instead of hunting all day to find and shoot a wild turkey, we simply drive down the the local grocery store, and bring home one that has already been killed, cleaned, feathers removed, and probably been frozen as well.
    We don't even have to get a whole bird of we don't want to, plenty of boneless/skinless chicken breasts all packaged up and waiting to be taken home and cooked.

I remember my Grandparents would get live chickens, chop their heads off out in the back yard, and then Grandma set about the job of cleaning the chicken and removing the feathers by putting the (dead) chicken in a tub of scalding hot water, which loosened every thing up enough that the feathers could be pulled out easily.
    Eggs that were inside the hen were saved, some only as large as a pea, and all of those went into the chicken noodle or chicken dumplings that she made from the chicken.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

My Doctor scoffs at the idea of fasting for 12 hours or more, before checking the blood's cholesterol level. First Dr. I have ever encountered having such a radical viewpoint, going against all the usual medical advice! But, his argument makes good sense.

As we go about our daily lives, the process of digestion and respiration, goes on regardless of the level of food consumption. During those "normal" periods, the liver is producing cholesterol and putting it into the bloodstream. Thus, the average level during normal operation, is the prevailing cholesterol content, and by fasting, an artificial level is produced due to the lack of "new" food being ingested. He believes fasting produces an artificial reading, which does not relate to what the body is experiencing daily. Frank

Mari North likes this.