My Daughter, The Fossil Collector

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Yvonne Smith, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My daughter, Robin, has always wanted to become an archeologist, and one of her favorite hobbies is poking around in the woods and streams nearby, and finding historical artifacts, and sometimess rocks with fossils imbedded in them.
    Her garage is full of boxes of "interesting rocks" of all sizes and shapes, and she also has a rock tumbler, and other equipment either in her house or out in the garage.
    When she is not working, she loves to go out exploring , especially along the Tennessee River, and bringing home her latest findings.

Here is a picture of my daughter that she posted on Facebook, and it made me chuckle to see it.

image.jpeg

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith, you are describing me to a certain point...when I was young I was always looking for neat rocks and even had a collection but I took it to school once for a project and the teacher never returned it and I was too shy to ask for it.

I still find myself looking down at the ground when walking just in case I see a neat rock...they fascinate me.

I too wanted to be an archeologist til I found out how much schooling it takes and chances are I wouldnt be on some famous dig.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  3. Ken N Louis

Ken N Louis Veteran Member
    Registered

Your daughter would love this part of Texas!!!
    We have all sorts of rock fossils..My wife's garden had many!!
    05-19-2011 009.jpg
    05-19-2011 004.jpg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

We've found fossils of sea shells in the Ozark mountains. I have on my desk what I believe is a meteorite I found on our property. I would like to get it analyzed to be sure it's not just a hunk of iron.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Apparently, this part of Alabama used to be a shallow sea at one time, and maybe in Arkansas where you are at also, @Sheldon Scott . Robin finds some sea shells here, too, and some fossils for sea critters in the rocks where she explores.
    I would love to look in Texas, @Ken N Louis , and see the place where there are dinosaur tracks with human footprints right in them. I think that it is around Dallas; but I would have to look it up again to be sure.
    There is a whole lot of evidence that what we call a dinosaur, and other creatures we believed to be extinct, have lived a lot more recently than millions of years ago.
    I am pretty sure that I posted some about this in the conspiracy and paranormal sub-forum.

Ken N Louis and Sheldon Scott like this.