My Country Called Philippines

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Corie Henson, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I was born and raised in the town of Makati in the province of Rizal. It is located just beside the well known city of Manila. Now it is called Makati City and not anymore under the province of Rizal but inside Metro Manila. It is very famous now since the vice president of the country has been mayor of that city for a time and that vice president is now facing accusations of plunder. But that's another story, sorry for straying.

From Makati, I married a cool guy from the nearby city of Mandaluyong. So expect me to move, of course. After more than 10 years there, we were able to purchase a house via a bank loan in the town of Cainta, in the province of Rizal. We have been staying here since 2001.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember two guys from the Philippines I served in the military with. I remember they were both quick tempered and they were both good boxers and they were good at whatever jobs they were given. I can occasionally, in the winter time, still feel the sting and burning sensation when one of them flattened my nose against my cheekbone.

3. Corie Henson

Registered

@Bill Boggs, those guys you met are more of an exception than a rule. Filipinos are hospitable and accommodating in nature particularly to foreigners. The only problem is some people are taking advantage of foreigners and giving the country a bad name.

Anyway, since the Philippines has a long coastline, it is no wonder that we have good beaches here. You just have to look to find the best ones. Boracay, they say, is the best but it is so crowded. I found one in the province of Pangasinan, in the northern part. That's the town of Bolinao with their excellent beaches and clear sea water... and not crowded. IMG_9594 bolinao duday RESIZED.jpg

4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I wasn't criticizing these guys. Sometimes when we're young, guys drink more than we should and some of us couldn't hold our liquor well.

Corie Henson likes this.
  5. Corie Henson

Registered

Okay, I get your point. I hope you enjoyed your stay here.

Let me add to the unique places in Bolinao. Aside from Pattar beach, which they boast of the white sand and very clear waters, there are some spots that are like painting on canvass. The rock formation was amusing and amazing particularly upon hearing the noise of water hitting those rocks. There was this cave that has fresh water inside that some tourists use it as a swimming spot. The fresh water is clean and clear with a matching story. There was that legend that a fairy helped a family escape the wrath of Japanese invaders by hiding them in that cave. And for survival, the fairy put in drinking water.

Here is that so called Wonderful Cave... IMG_9781 bolinao wonderful cave RESIZED.jpg