My Adventure In Peru

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Terry Page, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I second that.

Terry Page likes this.
  2. Terry Page

Terry Page Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

One of the places we visited on our tour was in Arequipa ... Santa Catalina Monastery....... I liked the history of the place:

The city of Arequipa set aside four plots of land for the monastery. Before it was completed, a wealthy young Doña María de Guzmán, the widow of Diego Hernández de Mendoza, decided to retire from the world and became the first resident of the monastery. In October 1580, the city fathers named her the prioress and acknowledged her as the founder. With her fortune now the monastery’s, work continued and attracted a number of women as novices. Many of these women were criollas and daughters of curacas, Indian chieftains. Other women entered the monastery to live as lay persons apart from the world.

Over time, the monastery grew and women of wealth and social standing entered the novitiate or as lay residents. Some of these new residents brought with them their servants and household goods and lived within the walls of the monastery as they had lived before. While outwardly renouncing the world and embracing a life of poverty, they enjoyed their luxurious English carpets, silk curtains, porcelain plates, damask tablecloths, silver cutlery, and lace sheets. They employed musicians to come and play for their parties.

When Arequipa's frequent earthquakes damaged portions of the monastery, the nuns' relatives repaired the damage, and with one of the restorations, built individual cells for the nuns because occupancy of the monastery had outgrown the common dormitories. During the two hundred years of the ViceRoyalty of Peru, the monastery continued to grow and flourish.

By the mid-1800's, word that the monastery functioned more as a social club than a religious convent reached Pope Pius IX who sent Sister Josefa Cadena, a strict Dominican nun, to investigate. She arrived at the Monasterio Santa Catalina in 1871 and promptly began reforms. She sent the rich dowries back to the motherhouse in Europe, dis-employed the servants and slaves while giving them the chance to leave the monastery or stay on as nuns. She instituted internal reforms and life in the monastery became as other religious institutions.

We both loved the place and spent most of the day there, here are a few photos I took, as you can see it's a lot more plush than the usual monastery....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Terry Page

Registered

A few more photos...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the confession cubicles, there was a whole corridor of these maybe a dozen, a lot of sinning must have gone on [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The laundry area...
    [​IMG]

There were many kitchens most of the nuns cells had their own
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The view from the belltower
    [​IMG]

Bill Boggs and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

Lots of very nice looking antique carved furniture..I wouldn't mind the dresser.

Where you on the other side of the confessional listening to Lisa's sins? :)

Terry Page likes this.
  5. Terry Page

Registered

No Lisa was as pure as driven snow until she met me ..... [​IMG]

Bill Boggs and Chrissy Cross like this.