My Adventure In Peru

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Terry Page, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I always believed this would turn out to be more of an adventure than a holiday/vacation, it's started off with Lisa in bed with altitude sickness so the adventure has begun or maybe delayed a little. I am sitting on the balcony in the sunshine while Lisa sleeps off the sickness, so while waiting I will start the photo album on Peru. .......I have only taken a few photos so far, the first couple are in the apartment where we spent the first night in Lima, ....the owner was lovely, and two bedroom apartment was a place you could easily permanently live in.

An interesting welcome

[​IMG]

The view from the window, it's in a residential area near the airport...

[​IMG]

The main square in Cuzco last evening...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have not come across a McDonalds yet but KFC are on the main square

[​IMG]

Lisa in happier time drinking a coca tea infusion (which sadly didn't work) a few hours before the sickness began...

[​IMG]

Our junk food meals of the day....cheeseburger and lasagne...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh I'm sorry Lisa has succumbed to the dreaded altitude sickness @Terry... poor Lisa, hope she's better soon. ((hugs))) for her.. How are you feeling now? Was it worse than you expected despite all your precautions ?

Lovely pics...different to what I expected, but you know that me and you suffer for our 'art' to allow others to share our journeys .. ;):D:D

Ina I. Wonder and Terry Page like this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

It will be an interesting adventure and experience. Wish I would have done South America when I had the chance.

My college age niece was just in Ecuador and the Galapagos for a Biology class credit and she loved it!

Of course, if I was going to SA I'd have to visit my birthplace...Buenos Aires. :)

Hope Lisa feels better soon!

You must be in the same time zone my son in Illinois is in...central.

Terry Page likes this.
  4. Terry Page

Registered

Somehow time seems to have stood still here today a lot appears to have happened and it's still only 3pm.
    I went out earlier for a pretty long walk to the outskirts of the town, to investigate what all the sporadic drumming and firecrackers going off was all about, it seems it was student protests about some injustice or other. There were riot police and patrol cars everywhere, but no sign of any violence.
    I am pleased to say Lisa is recovering from the altitude sickness, and I have just cooked some eggs for her which she has eaten with a cup of coca tea.
    Luckily apart from briefly feeling like a 90 year old yesterday [​IMG] I don't seem to have suffered at all ....

5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I feel for Lisa, must be similar to vertigo which ails me :(
    I hope she overcomes it
    What a lovely welcome you had and the pictures are good too :)

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  6. Terry Page

Registered

Good evening it's just 6pm and it's been another time warp of a day, we set out at 11am this morning, (it's too cold at 5c to venture out before then), we visited three museums, a monastery, a cathedral, two churches and a wedding, we also had an alfresco lunch and got lost and walked several miles, and finally got back to the apartment at 5:30pm, hardly seems possible really [​IMG]

Lisa has just popped out for a bit of late shopping for her grandchildren, she wants some trousers she has seen [​IMG]

I will sort out some photos to post .... I hope your weekends are going well.....

Ina I. Wonder and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Terry Page , you have posted some delicious looking food in your travel posts but, I have to say, that cheeseburger and fries is the most tempting food I have seen you post. :D I guess you just can't take the country out of the girl.

Will y'all be able to see the Peruvian rain forest?

Terry Page and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Terry Page

Registered

Here are a few snapshots I took of Lisa, the wedding and the lunch, which we had at a restaurant directly opposite the church ...

Lisa being a tourist, this is is coat but the hood is not used here...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The view from the bell tower of the church which we had to climb of course [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Lunch
    [​IMG]

Alpaca kebabs
    [​IMG]

Stuffed peppers with a dark beer which was lovely, I know alcohol is not advisable at high altitudes, but I thought it worth the small risk... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

What lovely pictures, @Terry Page , and the little Alpacas are so adorable ! ! They brought them right to the wedding, or do the alpacas just wander around wherever they please ? Is the beautiful coat that Lisa is wearing made from alpaca wool or some form of cotton, or other material ?
    If you are able to see some Peruvian Paso horses, you will love to see the exhibition of those, they are so graceful and beautiful to watch, and the smoothest horse in the world to ride, besides.

Terry Page and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Terry Page likes this.
  11. Terry Page

Registered

Just before I go to sleep I will post a few photos from today...

We are staying in an old Inca town called Pisaq, this is our place for the night:

[​IMG]

The view from our bedroom window..

[​IMG]

These women are apparently collecting seeds from what look like corn on the cob
    [​IMG]

We passed an alpaca/llama farm on the way here....

[​IMG]

Here I am feeding some
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The important Inca site here which is vast, we only walked on a small part of it:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the approach road.....
    [​IMG]

12. Terry Page

Registered

PS our dinner tonight at a lovely hotel restaurant on the square here..

lamb stew with coriander/cilantro my all time favourite herb, it was delicious, the lamb was the melt in your mouth kind Mmmm

[​IMG]

chicken in sesame seeds with quinoa

[​IMG]

Harry Havens likes this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Are you seeing some sheep up there, @Terry Page ?You might be eating vicuña or even a llama or alpaca, although they are browsers, so they would taste more like a deer than a sheep.
    The pictures are gorgeous, and those steep mountains are just awesome ! ! I think that this is the best adventure that you have ever taken us on so far.
    Those little alpacas have the cutest little faces ! I used to hum at my llama to call him, and he would hear me and hum back and then come running to see me every morning.
    So, if you want to talk with one, just make kind of a "mmmm" noise, somewhere between a hum and a whine, and when they hum back at you, you will know what it is supposed to sound like. Or you might hear them humming to each other.
    By the way, did you know that the male llama sings to the female when they are mating ? Like humans, llamas can mate anytime, and if the female is interested, she will lie down for the male. If not, she gives him a very dirty look and then threatens to spit on him if he doesn't catch the drift right away.

Ina I. Wonder and Terry Page like this.
  14. Terry Page

Registered

Hi to you all, it's become a real Peruvian adventure here, [​IMG] due to teachers protesting, they have blocked all the roads into Ollantaytambo (the town where we are staying and where the train leaves for Machu Picchu, but because the track is blocked with stones all services are cancelled for two days.

The only other way to get there is take a taxi from here to Santa Maria in the mountains then another to Santa Teresa, then a third to a Hydroelectric plant where the road ends, we then have to walk the train tracks for around 2 to 3 hours to reach Machu Picchu [​IMG] ....... we are determined to get there one way or the other, in the meantime the train station is chaos with hundreds of stranded passengers.

We had to walk the last couple of miles to our hotel this morning because of the blocked roads

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

....anyway we spent a great day in the end climbing the ruins here right to the very top, which was a lot easier than it first looked..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Terry Page likes this.