Muhammed Ali Has Died At 74

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Arlene Richards, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes just seen it on the news on TV...they've got it on a loop....

Poor man, I don't believe he was having an enjoyable life this last few years... R.I.P to probably the sportsman who will be remembered above all others for decades and possibly centuries to come..

3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree with @Holly Saunders that Cassius Clay a.k.a. Muhammad Ali did not have a good life in his retirement. Parkinsons disease is cruel to the patient and the suffering is extended to the family members. One former colleague of mine has a wife with Parkinsons and it is like being in hell because aside from losing physical control, his wife seems to be forgetting things, having a bad memory similar to the symptoms of Alzheimer's.

Maybe Ali got that disease from the abuse that his body had taken during his boxing days. Our own great boxer Flash Elorde died younger from lung cancer. He had learned smoking when he retired from boxing so maybe his lungs revolted. But dead of alive, their achievements are etched in history of sports.

Frank Sanoica and Holly Saunders like this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree @Corie Henson PD is a horrible disease...my father suffered and died from the effects of PD...

Frank Sanoica and Corie Henson like this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

He was 'great' ! A little misguided at times but aren't we all
    He did well with that horrible illness - RIP Cassius

6. Arlene Richards

Registered

7. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

when the fights over and they ring the last bell im gonna jump thru the ropes and take on Howard Cosell.

[​IMG]

Von Jones and Patsy Faye like this.
  8. Arlene Richards

Registered

I recall when his lovely daughter Laila competed on Dancing with the Stars. In an interview she said her dad did not approve of the skimpy costumes and close sexy moves, but he did come see her dance once. She did very well - her partner was Maks - they made it to finals and came in 3rd.

9. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I heard about his death on the radio this morning. The radio announcer stated that Ali had lived with PD for 30 years. I did not realize he had the disease for so long. I remember at the time of his diagnosis they believed there was a correlation between Ali developing PD and his boxing career.

10. Gary Ridenour

Registered

coroner claims he died from septic shock

11. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

My own father experienced strange symptoms before retiring, no pain or anything like that, no dizziness, but rather the "feeling I will fall forward', while standing up or walking. First Dr. said, "MS". I said, "B.S.". After a string of medical opinions, P. D. was decided upon. L-Dopa was then brand new, experimental only, our Dr. obtained a special consequence OK to order it. Made him worse, n o helpful results at all. The first symptoms were evident when he was about 65, friends, neighbors, relatives remarked about his "shuffling gait" when walking. My Dad remained crisply sharp mentally as these physical intrusions robbed him. No medications helped. He died during the 5th. year of his affliction. His symptoms never included the "shakiness" typical of P.D. I thought they had it all wrong, but what could I do?

Many years later, thanks to the internet, I learned that many degenerative brain diseases "mimic" P.D. One which fits my Dad's malady perfectly is PSP- Progressive Supranuclear Palsy. Little consolation. They couldn't help him then, they still couldn't help him today, 45 years later. Half a damned century. Celebrate great strides in medicine!

Rant over, sorry, I get carried away when I think of my Dad's suffering and my Mom's while caring for him those years.
    Frank

12. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

It is always a shame when an idol dies he made his mark on boxing that is for sure and after that when people knew he had a bad diagnosis he showed just how much of a fighter he really was.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  13. Gary Ridenour

Registered

he was a draft dodger refusing to go to Nam. he got 5 years fined $10,000 and banned from boxing for three years. He stayed out of prison as his case was appealed and returned to the ring on October 26, 1970, knocking out Jerry Quarry in Atlanta in the third round. On March 8, 1971, Ali fought Joe Frazier in the “Fight of the Century” and lost after 15 rounds, the first loss of his professional boxing career. On June 28 of that same year, the U.S. Supreme Court overturned his conviction for evading the draft.

Janice Martin likes this.
  14. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

15. I'm never happy about anyone passing away, but the first part of your post was why I couldn't stand the guy in general.
    And in my opinion, he never should have been allowed back in the ring- a guy who wasn't willing to serve his country shouldn't have been allowed to represent it either.