Mr. Trump, You Can't Do That In The White House!

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Here's the Article:

Trump tweet on L.L.Bean would break White House rule.
    Current policy prohibits the president from endorsing specific companies.

Donald Trump on Thursday morning put his presidential-elect seal of approval on L.L.Bean, thanking one of the heirs of the company’s founder for her support, and tweeting that people should “Buy L.L.Bean.”
    If he does the same when he becomes president, he could get in hot water.
    That’s because the Office of Government Ethics prohibits executive officials from using their position to endorse an organization, product or person. While this regulation technically does not apply to the president, President Barack Obama put in place a White House policy that expanded it to also apply to the Oval Office.

"We strictly forbade this when I was in the White House for the President and everyone else,” Norm Eisen, Obama's former ethics czar, told POLITICO. “How can you ask others to follow it if he doesn’t?”
    Trump urged supporters to patronize L.L.Bean after the retailer’s founder’s granddaughter, Linda Bean, illegally donated to a PAC supporting Trump, leading to calls for a boycott. (Her $60,000 donation exceeded the amount that the PAC could accept from any one contributor.)

"People will support you even more now,” Trump said before encouraging Americans to snap up the company’s preppy products.

Trump also included a link to Linda Bean’s personal company, which sells lobsters to vacationers.
    The tweet on Thursday didn’t break any rules — Trump isn’t covered by the policy as president-elect, and his incoming White House counsel, Don McGahn, could change the rule once Trump is sworn in next week.

But even if Trump changes White House policy, he could still run afoul of other laws if he hawks companies and their products as president.

Specifically, he could risk violating a federal insider-trading law called the STOCK Act if he or people around him use knowledge of upcoming tweets to trade securities. The STOCK Act does apply to the president.

Eisen said Trump will trip the STOCK Act or the anti-bribery law, which also includes the president, if his behavior doesn’t change.

So, Mr. Trump will have to change some of his ways after he takes that Presidential seat!

Patsy Faye likes this.
  2. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Well he's not sworn in yet, and my bet is he knows very well that would be breaking a rule, so he did it before;) wtg Trump!!

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well........we'll see. We all know just how tough he sounds right now, but once he's in the White House, he has to contend with the Senate and Congress. He will have people he will have to answer to. He's his own boss right now, but later.

Actually, I am really, really interested to see how he will "Make America Great Again" and DO IT.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That was put out there because the headline and the leader to the article suggested that Trump had violated White House policy. While the article itself made it clear that no rule had been violated, they knew that most people who read the headline and leader on Facebook would accept that as the news, and never bother to click into the article. Sure enough, the comments were all about what an idiot Trump was, how he was too stupid to know the rules, or that he thought they didn't apply to him. Fake news, in other words. For that matter, I can remember President Obama heralding a company known as Solyndra and, not only praising it, but funneling tax money to it.

5. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Glad there are some knowledgeable people here, thanks Ken.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Just found out that no matter what Trump says he's going to do for American's or what he "tweets", there are folks that just don't like him period......our neighbors.

No matter what people don't like about him, I just want to see what he will do. Only thing is, I hope a Revolution in the U.S. doesn't start because of him. He has many Supporters very happy getting elected, but there are those that don't like him at all. Him getting elected is fine with me.

7. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh - Trump won't follow rules so there are bound to be problems
    He thinks he can just carry on as he normally does, I doubt that he will succeed on that
    There is an arrogance about him and he needs to quell that a bit
    I am unsure about his Presidency but I do see why people voted for him, I hope they are right
    and he proves to be a good and worthwhile President

8. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Trump got elected because people are fed up with the way things have been done. Obama's rules don't apply.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, until his words become action, none of us will really know, right?

Policies are policies, no matter who makes them!

Holly Saunders likes this.
  10. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh - that's true enough, people will say what you want to hear to get elected
    The proof is in the puddin'

11. Patsy Faye

Registered

That's also true - but he's not one to follow rules anyway, he usually does what 'he' wants to do - may work in your favour though

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  12. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

President Trump can make or change "Policies". It does matter not just who who makes them but what the "policies" are for. I think most policies our government has need to be changed.

Denise Evans and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Here's my thoughts on this. When Obama was elected everyone pretty much refused to work with him...so he made up his own rules, etc. He did it "his way" and Trump will do things "his way" too. Because no matter what Obama did it was always wrong to someone....and this will be true for Trump too.

14. Patsy Faye

Registered

Yes Babs, our new PM is doing things her way which is so appreciated as it's not the same old thing going on
    She stands up and delivers, which I also like.
    Trump has stood - lets hope he delivers :)

Holly Saunders and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I think part of our problems here in America @Patsy Faye is that we have to many people who think they should be leading instead of the one who was elected to "Lead" us.

Holly Saunders and Denise Evans like this.