Movie Sets

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I lived in Anaheim, California in the late 1970s and early 1980s, there was a section of, I think, a couple of blocks, which seemed to be an old downtown area, that was vacant and used frequently as a movie set. I think they tore it down eventually but before they did that, it was used as a movie set for a couple of years. I would pass by there on my way to and from work, and I would often bike through there. It was closed off to vehicular traffic but I could bike through it if no one was filming there. There were several commercial buildings, including one that had clearly been a bank building. Depending on what was being filmed there, they would have different signs attached to them, and sometimes there would be horses and buggies on the street. The first time I came across it, I thought there was a police operation going on because there were a lot of people in SWAT uniforms. Then I realized they were filming.

Prior to moving to Anaheim, I was in Long Beach. The Pike, an old amusement park, was still there, alongside the Pacific Ocean, but only about every third or fourth building on the midway was open, and most of the rides were closed, the biggest attraction being the two-story arcade. They often filmed movies there too. The Pike even played the part of Coney Island, on the other coast. Some people would hang around hoping to be picked as extras because they'd sometimes pick people who were just standing around watching for crowd scenes and such.

For a year or so, shortly after moving to California, I was staying at a cheap extended-stay motel while I gathered up enough money for first and last month's rent, and a security deposit. I was watching a television movie once, and a scene in the movie showed the motel, including my pickup truck.

Okay, that's about all I've got.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

It was always a cool thing to be 'stopped' while you were out and about in Oahu so they could
    film the TV show, "Hawaii Five-0".
    Seems they were always filming something around us while I was growing up.

The Hotel I worked at in Nashville was used for a number of scenes for the TV show "Nashville".
    I always found something to occupy my time while they filmed.

Also, just down the road from me, is the old Tennessee State Prison that closed in 1992
    and is used as a film location. The "Green Mile" and others were filmed there.

[​IMG]

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Las Vegas, New Mexico has become a regular "Hollywood" because of the fact the historic downtown square can fill in for different eras. All the antennas on top of the buildings around the square are hinged to drop easily. Voila! Drop the antennas, fill the square with buggies or vintage era automobiles and it can be the Old West all the way up to 2019. Parts of several movies have been filmed there, including "No Country for Old Men" (we stuck our heads into the hotel room in which Javier Bardim's character jumped out the window). They also rigged up one of the intersections on the interstate to pass as a Mexican border crossing.

Bobby Cole likes this.