Motor Homes, Camper Trailers, Conversion Vans, And Other Rv’s

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

I drive when we're RVing it. We have a 32' TT. I plan the legs of our trips. I never drive more than 300 miles per leg. We normally hit the road by 9 AM, and arrive at our new site by 3 PM, at the latest.

I try to avoid expressways that can be determined to have Jersey barriers in place, beforehand. If we see a long stretch of those intensely-hated barriers, I take to the access roads. White-knuckle driving is not for me......

2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

We had one of those Volkswagen pop top campers. It was a fun vehicle and a good way to see the country.
    I saw one parked in a driveway near here the other day. Sorta made me want to get the lead out and go somewhere.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

We are pretty much seat of the pants travelers. Of course when we have a particular destination we plan, but mostly we just wing it. She get on the computer about 3 3:30 and starts hunting for a place to park, And we have stayed every where from commercial camp ground, county, state, forest service blm land, Wal Mart, fishing access sites and a couple of times just a wide spot in the road. It is about the journey!

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We are the same, unless we are headed for a destination to stay for a week or two. Our favorite campgrounds are COE parks. As more and more RVs are on the road now, it's harder to get accommodations in popular campgrounds.

RIG.jpg

5. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

It takes us three nights to make the 800 mile semi annual trip to Myrtle Beach. No rush and as little interstate as possible.

Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I used to look forward to September when the kids would all be back in school. Lots easier to find better camping spots then. Of course now that kids are not going back to school and more people are buying RVs, we are thinking about selling our motorhome. We don't get to use it much anymore since we can't leave my MIL unattended for more than a couple of days. (Yeah, my husband has a sister and a brother living in this area; they can't be bothered. :rolleyes: But that's a rant for another day and another thread.)

Bill Boggs likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The last actual road trip that I went on , was with Robin, when she was working on Orlando for a week, and we drove don there in her little Mini-Cooper.
    It was a wonderful trip, and we took some of the less traveled roads so we could stop and see things when we wanted to do that. Coming home, we drove up along the west coast of Florida and across the southern part of the Florida Panhandle, so we could see the Gulf for most of the trip home, until we headed north into Alabama again.

I love to travel, and when I was younger, and working for Combined Insurance, I put on about 1,000 miles of travel every week. I loved the traveling, and I really miss being able to do that . I am glad that Robin is about to take me along on some of her travels, still, and hoping that I don’t get too old to at least do that.

What I really would love to do , is take a train trip cross country again. When I lived in Idaho, and Robin was stationed in Virginia near Norfolk, I took a trip out to see her on Amtrak, and it was a really great way to travel and see the country, and not need to be driving all that distance.

8. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I owned a home in New Zealand for a number of my retirement years but in addition used the Camper Van in the attached picture to park in different parts of the country. New Zealand has a North & South Island and I spent time traveling both. CAMPER VAN.jpg

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  9. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

We did once when the kids were small. Unfortunatrely we chose the wrong time to go to DC. We turned back when the kids looked like lobsters a
    t Gettysburg.

10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

yes, for a couple of years

11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We once had a travel trailer that we used to go to the beach when our children were small, and we have a travel trailer now as an ark: should we need to flee earthquake damage, volcanoes, or wildfires. I think @Beth Gallagher is our resident expert on RVing.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Far from an expert, Don!! I believe there are several RVers on the forum; I know @Mary Robi has posted about her travel adventures.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I ran around the country in a pop-top Volkwagen van for several years. I loved that van.
    We had a stove and a refrigerator and a chemical necessity. Carried a fold-up table and
    a couple of chairs for dining outside. Travelled all of west Texas, New Mexico, and parts
    of Colorado, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Iowa, Ill, Wisconsin. And once I ventured
    into East Texas.

We also made frequent trips with friends from Carlsbad in their motor home. Sometime
    we'd meet them in Las Vegas or Santa Fë. What a time'.

14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Lived in an Itaska, traveled a couple hundred thousand miles in my Winnebago, traveled with a carnival in my self renovated school bus but a camper van? No.

15. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Jake Smith likes this.