More Than 1.5 Billion Masks Believed To Have Entered Oceans In 2020

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Ken Anderson, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

More than 1.5 billion masks believed to have entered oceans in 2020 -- ABC Action News

Hate me if you must, but I'm amused. Unforeseen consequences that surely should have been foreseen, particularly given the number of them I've seen in parking lots and sidewalks, do that to me. It's kind of like California crying because people and businesses are leaving the state, or New York City doing similarly. Duh! What the heck did you expect?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

7DF6462D-7782-4734-A787-6B1329FC4535.jpeg
    If a dern Papaya can test positive for CV then there is no doubt that fish can too. Maybe the masks can be made useful by the as of yet uncounted amberjack that some scientists are supposed to count when they get their part of the pork included in the stimulus bill.

There’s nothing more pitiful than a fish with Covid-19.
    Time to Mask up the ocean critters.....

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

The government response will probably be to charge a deposit on masks. I don't think I want to work at that redemption center. When the obvious is lost on the clueless, there is humor there.

John Brunner and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

As a heretofore unannounced ECO freak, I believe that all masks should be made out of biodegradable material or be made illegal for use by anyone other than a professional.

I’m sure that masks in the oceans are the main cause for global warming so once we get rid of them the earth will be saved.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm sure it's another Chinese blight. :p

6. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

They will invent "masks recycling" machines like the bottles one. Yes, they will have them at the local supermarkets. :)

7. Ken Anderson

My cousin suggested that, maybe if the sea turtles wore the masks, they wouldn't get plastic straws up their noses.

Bobby Cole and Al Amoling like this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

If I was into conspiracy theories, I would have to write that this whole covid-19 / mask venture is without a doubt the biggest money making marketing scheme I have ever witnessed.

Think about this for a moment:
    It probably only cost the Chinese a couple of thousand bucks to produce the virus and once produced it spread throughout the world without any cost for transport nor distribution.

Once the virus was distributed, a need for masks and other medical supplies was mandated throughout said world and who makes the most money making those masks? The Chinese. It’s turned into a trillion + dollar industry.
    I mean, Gavin Newson cut a deal with the Chinese for a billion dollars worth of masks which probably will not be handed out free in his state. After all, he has to compete with Walmart and their sales of Chinese masks.

Now, the oceans and rivers and dump sites are filled with the nasty things and who do you suppose will invent a way to transform those masks into Daisy Duke shorts or some such? The Chinese of course.
    Just can’t let a crisis go to waste.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I was at the Texas Medical Center yesterday, wearing my own cloth mask. When I checked in at the door of the building, I was asked to sanitize my hands and then they handed me a "fresh" mask. I had the option of wearing it over my existing mask or by itself, but they made sure everyone entering had a fresh mask.

10. Silvia Benoit

Registered

I make my own masks. Each day upon coming back home I wash them with soap n water and, then, I dip them in bleach. I use two or three masks per day Perfect results.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

My mask was fresh and clean also. Unfortunately the staff at the Medical Center did not care about the condition of my mask and issued everyone entering a fresh, new one.

12. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Rules are rules.
    BTW, if you forget your mask when at the supermarkets, Home Depot, Walmart and some other big stores....you get one for free. I guess is the same in other states.