More States Allowing Carry Concealed Handguns Without Permit

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Frank Sanoica, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...to-carry-concealed-handguns-without-a-permit/

"New Hampshire this week passed a law allowing residents to carry a concealed handgun without a permit, joining a growing number of states that are allowing residents to carry weapons out of sight without a license."
    "At least 11 states have passed laws allowing the concealed carry of guns without a permit, and 16 states have introduced legislation this year to do the same...."
    "In New Hampshire, Gov. Chris Sununu (R) signed a law Wednesday that allows anyone who has purchased a licensed pistol or revolver to carry it, loaded or unloaded, on him or herself or in a vehicle. Sununu’s predecessor, Sen. Maggie Hassan (D), twice vetoed the legislation."

Note that immediately above, the handgun must be LICENSED to be carried. Another blinder over the folks' eyes.

......"the law puts New Hampshire on equal footing with neighboring Vermont and Maine, which also do not require permits for the concealed carry of handguns."

Vermont never required concealed carry permitting, and Maine is news to me.
    Frank

2. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

hence the reason so many black deaths

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

Patsy Faye and Frank Sanoica like this.
  4. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Missy Lee
    Most interesting! And complicated! If I understand the miasma of wording, a typical meat-cutting knife like we use in our kitchen would be considered illegal contraband. But entering Canada while transporting any of the declarable weapons is accepted, so long as a FEE is paid. Sort of like a tax upon personal possession of a variety of tools thought to, in general, pose a threat to public safety.
    Frank

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Maine no longer requires a permit to carry a concealed weapon, although they still issue concealed carry permits for those who travel to states that Maine has reciprocity with.

That has been in effect in Maine for only a year.

6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't like the idea of not having to have a permit for concealed carry...makes it too easy. I don't mind if you have a concealed weapon but at least go through some hoops to get it.

In fact, Id like you to wear a sign or some way of letting someone know a dangerous weapon may be around you or your child.

I can see the scenario where someone has one in their jacket, comes to my house...hangs up their jacket and a young curious child takes it out and shoots it.

If this can't happen...then ok. I don't know the ins and outs of concealed carry...my husband did in the states we lived in but did need a permit....that's all I know.

I think I would want to know if anybody comes in my house and has a gun on them.

Functioning alcoholics and guns aren't a great combo either....had one very stressful night with that scenario with my ex.

Think I told the story....he couldn't stand the barking of the dogs behind us...one night I see him go outside with his gun saying he's going to shoot the f****** dog.

Well, yes..he might have killed a dog which is bad enough but there were small children playing in the yard also...it was summer and dark already but that's when people in Fresno come out, after the sun goes down.

Also a high fence so he would just have shot blindly....I finally talked him down but I never forgot that incident.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    Missy Lee and Patsy Faye like this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Of course, anything could happen but I don't know of anyone who doesn't keep the safety on their weapon, which would mean that the child would have to know his way around it, or have enough time to have found it by accident. It greatly reduces the danger, however.

I don't hear of very many accidents involving children and guns here, and the last one that I do remember was a police officer's son, and of course he would have had that gun anyhow.

I do know that if I had children in my house, my handgun wouldn't be sitting on my desk and my shotgun wouldn't be leaning against the wall. Although both of these weapons are empty and the ammunition isn't nearby. I am not so concerned about a home invasion in Millinocket, although it has happened. The only time I carry is when I am driving up north to my land, and most often I forget to bring one.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Like I said...you're probably right...I don't know much about guns. My husband had a boatload and even made his own bullets but all I ever did was go with him to the shooting range and shoot at Targets. Al I did was aim and fire.

He had some sort of machine and gunpowder and empty casings....a whole room in the basement devoted to that. :)

I hated that room, lol

He made some huge ones that would kill an elephant! Don't know what he planned on doing with those!,

I think he also had one that later became against the law...an AK 47???

He had silencers also...maybe he was planning to kill me one day. :)

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Silencers??? What the heck was the dude doing with them? They are illegal to own, right? Would never own any kind of assault rifle. @Chrissy Cross.........you never ask him why he had so many firearms and/or anything about the silencers??? Just wondering.

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

No, because I didn't know anything about guns...why would I ask. He had a lot of guns because he collected them. His best friend was in law enforcement and he had even more...

He did go hunting but with what was allowed but I told him not bring home anything if shot it.

Also..when he had the AK 47 I think it was legal.

I didn't feel the need to know every single thing he did and he didn't need to know everything I did, like I said we had different interests and it worked for us. If I would have asked ..he would have told me...if he wanted me to know something he would have told me that also. He bought and traded guns constantly...I didn't keep an inventory. He kept that room locked, I had a key but never went in there...not even to clean, he did that in there.

It was too cluttered and it was best I didn't see that.

11. Ken Anderson

I'm not sure where it stands in the legislative session but that may go away, as a federal law. I know there has been legislation submitted to make silencers legal for reasons of reducing hearing damage for target shooters and hunters.

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, my wife and I know everything about what we do and own. I know there are couples out there that don't have this type of relationship and that is hard for me to understand, but that's just the way it is.
    Not to change the OP, but our boat doesn't hit the water unless we are both on it and when it comes to going to the range, we both go there as well. I have spoken to some "young Bucks", who had just loaded up a Center Console Fishing boat onto the trailer, and said "so, where are the girlfriends and/or wives?". One guy said, "at home where they belong". Didn't like the answer, but that was their marriage. Sure glad it's not the way mine is. However, compared to when we first got our membership at local pistol & rifle range in 2009, there are more ladies there shooting handguns today, my wife being one of them. Very glad to see that.

Ina I. Wonder and Holly Saunders like this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Don't forget it's only the two of you, we had children that took our time also, so hanging out with each other all day didn't work.

Knowing or not knowing his guns had nothing to do with our relationship which was the BEST. I would go crazy if my husband hung on me constantly. After a day with kids, cooking, cleaning, laundry, homework, school, activities...the last thing I wanted to do was for him to tell me about his guns.

I knew he had a lot of guns, why was it important for to know what they were called? If I needed this info..along with other information it was in a box at the bank which I had a key to.

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

He was my husband...not a dude!

15. Frank Sanoica

Registered

Ina I. Wonder and Chrissy Cross like this.