Monuments Honoring The Confederacy Being Removed

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Augusta Heathbourne, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Augusta Heathbourne

Augusta Heathbourne Veteran Member
    Registered

I am going to see Gone With The Wind tomorrow at a Classic Hollywood retrospective at my local cinema.

Which reminds me of the news item I saw today that the statues honoring the Confederacy are being removed in various places in the South. It made me sad, but then these commemorations are for the living and what worthy ideals do those men represent to the often majority African-American populations?

But it still made me feel melancholy to think that not only the generation who lived through the war is long gone but so are their children and grandchildren to whom it meant something important, if not actually sacred, to look back at and to honor. That era really is finally gone with the wind...

Patsy Faye and Babs Hunt like this.
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

There are four of these monuments being removed right here in my home state in the city of New Orleans. :( While I am not one who is much for establishing monuments in the first place...I am for preserving History and I am sad that others are offended by it instead and want to "erase" it instead of just learning the lessons to be learned by History.

I love the move Gone With the Wind although I did not enjoy the sequel to it half as much. I hope you enjoy going to see it very much @Augusta Heathbourne

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Augusta Heathbourne likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered