Molasses

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Patsy Faye, May 12, 2017.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith
    Ah, so! Thought I might have them backwards. Comes from being half left-handed, I guess.
    Frank

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When sugar cane is processed into white sugar, it goes through a process that removes nearly all of the nutrients except calories. The residue that remains after processing is molasses. Whether the molasses is sulfured or unsulfured depends on whether sulfur was used in the process.

Un-sulfured molasses is lighter in color and has a cleaner flavor than either sulfured or blackstrap molasses. Blackstrap molasses is the result of the third boiling, and is the dregs of sugar production. It is slightly richer in iron, calcium, and potassium than sulfured or unsulfured molasses.

When a recipe calls for dark molasses, you can usually use light molasses without a problem. If you use molasses in place of another sweetener while baking, reduce the heat by about 25 degrees to prevent over-browning.

The acidity of molasses can be neutralized by adding a teaspoon of baking soda to the dry ingredients for every cup of molasses the recipe calls for. Molasses is not used as often today as it once was, but is used in gingerbread, gingersnaps, and baked beans.

For a more accurate measurement of molasses, coat the measuring utensil with nonstick spray so that it will flow better, yielding a more accurate measure.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I made baked beans today, and molasses was one of the ingredients.:D

Ken Anderson likes this.
  4. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

bacon-eggs-and hot biscuits dipped in molasses-it is yummy

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have been having some sorghum along with my oatmeal/kefir bread in the morning for breakfast the last few days, and it seems to be about the right size of breakfast for me. I make oatmeal in the winter, but now that the weather is warming up, just having the oatmeal bread works fine, and has about all the same stuff in it as a bowl of oatmeal.