Miscellaneous Plants

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Corie Henson, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

We call them miscellanies or miscellany, those plants that grow from the seeds that we throw. One of which is the pepper, the small red pepper that is real hot. It is not expensive though and those red pepper in the market are usually given away to customers of vegetable vendors. When we have an excess or decaying pepper in the fridge, we just throw it in the bin (this is aside from the compost bin) near the kitchen window. Little did we know that the pepper had grown and is now fruiting. IMG_5512 sili.JPG

Diane Lane and Sheldon Scott like this.
  2. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

So do the plants grow inside the bin? I've never tried something like this, and it sounds interesting. I can't have really hot peppers, but it would be nice if I could grow something from discarded pieces. I would love to try growing some bell peppers at some point. I guess I'll have to investigate how to do that.

Corie Henson likes this.
  3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Hmm, I guess I was not able to explain clearly. Anyway, we have 2 bins - a compost bin and a seedling bin. That seedling bin is also composted with rich soil that gives a boost to the sprouting seed. That's where we throw the seeds from the fruits that we eat and also some seeds of the vegetables. And when the seedlings are likeable, we transplant it to a good location. Like mango seedling and the sugar apple seedlings that are now in plastic pots waiting for whoever would ask.

But that pepper in the photo was somewhat neglected. Since it is rainy season, it grew so fast and it already has blossoms when we noticed its presence. In a few weeks, there were mature fruits and now ready for harvesting. It's really fun to do gardening which was alien to me before considering that I am city-bred.

4. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

Corie it cracks me up when I hear someone talking about just "throwing" seeds somewhere and having them grow into big luscious veggies! I have a friend who does that with tomato seeds, and her tomatoes are amazing! I fuss and baby mine, and never seem to be able to produce a decent crop of anything; I have such a "brown thumb!" I think I'm gonna start throwing next year! LOL Your peppers are beautiful!