Milking Cows And Goats

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I didn't live there but Ive been there a few times. You're not getting my point anyway so forget it.

You seem set in believing that you can't be a cowboy unless you live in Colorado, Wyoming etc.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Chrissy, I never said that! (in red). Don't get upset here, but I do know much more about cowboy and rodeo lifestyle than you. You know I'm right there. I was a member of a major rodeo association, had a horse and knew how to ride and rope.

Orange County is not "cowboy country" at all. Sure, I fit in with the Country/Western nightclub people because of what I wore, but if I started to talk about rodeo or cowboy stuff, they didn't have a clue what I was talking about. These were nightclub folks who danced and that was pretty much it. California has it's own rodeo circuit and I was a part of it. There are cowboys and cowgirls in California, but not all parts.

If you was to ever get around rodeo contestants or ranchers, you'd know exactly what I mean. A whole different breed of folks than what lived in Orange County.

3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

All I'm saying is that I don't find it odd for people to be dressed any way they want.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

But, that’s YOU!!

It wasn’t just the way I sometimes dressed (Western), it was how much I liked and missed, rain, t-storms and a few other farm things. A lot of people in So Cal don’t like rain and get shocked when a t-storm happens.

You were/are pretty much an expert being a mom and grandma, of which I know very little about.
    I’m pretty much the expert in Western , cowboy rodeo stuff.
    So, let’s just agree on that and let “cow and goat” Thread go on.

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'm not on expert on being a mom and grandma, just did/do my best.

I'm all for ending this though. :)

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yeah, I'm all for ending it to. This is about milking cows and goats.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Unlike many people, I did not appreciate fresh milk. I am not very fond of milk at all, but I particularly hated the stuff that had bits of cream floating on top of it. That might even be the reason that I came to dislike milk, as far as drinking it goes. I do use a small amount of milk on cereal but I don't eat cereal often and, when I do, I use far less milk than most people do. I do like cheese and sometimes find use for butter, as well, and preferred homemade butter to the store-bought stuff. There is nothing that comes from a goat that I like.

Terry Page likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Bet, if someone was to ask your kids or grandkids if you were an “expert”, they’d say “heck yes!”.

Just like my wife thinks I’m an “expert” at some things, but some of those things I laugh at and say “no way”.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yea, but Ken, cowboys and cowgirls milked cows and goats “way back when” also. LOL

Ken Anderson likes this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Before I was born, and my folks lived on the farm in Idaho (where they lived when I was born) they had at least one milk cow. Mom used to tell me stories about their life on the farm, and especially from during the depression when everything was hard. She said that they would carry the milk from their house down into town and they sold the milk or traded it to someone for some other items that they needed.
    It was good that there were a lot of deer because that is how they had meat to eat. Since both my mother and father were excellent shots, the game warden would supply them with bullets for their 30.30 rifles and let them hunt deer for other neighbors who were unable to hunt for their own venison.
    One of the cows kicked her in the stomach and caused her to have a tumor, which was why the doctor told her that she would not be able to have a child when she was pregnant with me. Thankfully, she took the chance anyway, and both she and I survived, and here I am.

Terry Page likes this.
  11. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I disliked milk as a child @Ken Anderson, we had free school milk every day, but I opted for the orange juice alternative. I actually preferred goats to cows milk, it was less heavy and made good soft cheese. I may have eaten goats meat on my travels, but can't recall it.
    I do love most hard cheeses and butter ............ too much really :rolleyes:

Yvonne Smith likes this.