Mike's Revelation

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Frank Sanoica, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

My nephew, Mike, born the same year as my wife, 1951, visited here with me since Tuesday. He left to return to Flagstaff nearly 3 hours ago.

We discussed the usual, family dysfunctionality, his parents' alcoholism and how he believes it shaped his coming adult life, his sisters who now shun him, his half-brother, Dan, my elder nephew, whom we called today in Kansas, and both of us felt keenly aware of the differences in our outlooks today as compared with times past.

Last night, the discussion went on until 3AM, most unusual, with Mike remarking it could not have happened, had my wife been home, instead of in Indiana! Certain secrets, pent up for many years, seeped out. Why? Why now? Good question. Aging, possibly, had to do with it. Mike, normally very reserved, level-headed, holding two Masters Degrees, revealed under demand of utter confidentiality, that one year while working part-time and attending college, still back in Illinois, that he had taken LSD a number of times then. Normally against imbibing in general, due to his parents' history of doing so daily, he seemed shaken to realize again that he had done this. Never any other drugs, was the reply to my question. His description of the drugged experiences back then seemed to frighten him as he recalled them. Both parents regarded alcohol as a mild "toy", regarding other drugs as absolute no-noes. Such activity by Mike I could never have imagined, not even in my worst dreams!

So, I have a few days of "alone-ness" again. Sunday, my wife will return from IN, flying in to Las Vegas, where I will pick her up, returning us to our river area, 110 miles downstream. I just got off the phone with her, 11:30PM there, she sounded beat. Her mom will be released from the care place tomorrow, spend tomorrow night, Saturday, and Saturday night at her home, with her youngest daughter, Betsy, staying with her. Mom will accompany the two sisters to South Bend from Churubusco, from where my wife will depart for Vegas. A shame to have to drive 100 miles to the airport, with Ft. Wayne being adjacent to 'Busco, but my wife is not comfortable with a connection at Chicago's O'Hare Airport.
    Frank

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

You couldn't pay me to do LSD but lots of people did especially in the 60's.

I'm sure you can't wait for your wife to get home.

Ive flown from and and connected many times at O'Hare...hate it. Don't know which is worse JFK or O'Hare.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Chrissy Cross
    I would vote for Dallas-Ft. Worth. After they rebuilt it many decades ago, shuttles were necessary toget from terminal to terminal. I missed my flight, due to added time needed.
    Frank

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Ive been there also to connect but it's been awhile...isn't that the one where the distance between gates is so far?

Hate LAX also...shuttles there too.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That was the only 60s drug that I used more than once or twice.

Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Really? Wow!

I'd be too scared....I need to be in full control of my mind.

7. Ken Anderson

There was the idea then, even among researchers, that it would expand the mind.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Did it?

9. Ken Anderson

No, but I don't think it did any harm either.

10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I knew many people who took it and had no long-term issues, but I did know one girl whose life was ruined by it. She continued to have bad flashbacks long after she stopped using it, and would be terrified, as she never knew when she would fall into another trip. I never used it, but I walked into rooms where everyone had taken it and were lying on the floor staring at the ceiling. I also knew of cases where people as a joke would put the stuff into punch or food a table just to see how others unknowing would react.

11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I basically did the pot thing full force. And many Speed drugs. I never had the desire for LSD or cocaine or heroin...thank goodness. Oh...did use anyal nitrate ...bad stuff that is...I shudder now at my stupidity back then.

Chrissy Cross and Frank Sanoica like this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'll admit to some diet pills! Amphetamines and there were some strong prescription ones back then but that's all I ever tried.