Microwave Egg Cooker

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Frank Sanoica, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Few days back, we returned to our 99-Cent store to pick up a large strainer I had been eyeing for separating my fruit pulp. We spotted a number of microwave-oven egg cookers on the shelf, at least 5 different brands. Everybody knows eggs explode in a microwave, right? If removed from the shell, I make some nifty omelets in our microwave, though. In 45 seconds! These devices cook them in the shell! We examined them all closely, and chose this one.

[​IMG]

Here's the side of the box. They imaginatively shaped the thing like an egg. It's about 6 inches high, made in two halves which come apart.

[​IMG]

The two halves opened up. Used twice, it shows black stains on the aluminum inserts, something of course not mentioned in the instructions! I imagine it's from sulfur, which might be eliminated by washing the eggs first, which I did not. Bottom part is the lower half.
    [​IMG]

With bottom insert removed. The bottom is half-filled with water, 1 to 4 eggs are stood up in the little depressions, the top put in place, microwave on high from 7 to 10 minutes. I did 1 egg as a trial run, 7 minutes, and it came out perfect! The very center of the yolk had a small soft spot left. 4 eggs done 10 minutes could not be told apart from 18-minute boiled on the stove!
    [​IMG]

Of course, I had to figure out how they're doing this, and in studying all the devices, found that several involved piercing a hole in one end of the eggs. The one we bought does not. One even has a built-in "piercer". Did not like those at all, plus they cost more. Ours was $4.99. The metal inserts prevent microwaves from reaching the eggs. Thus, the water boils, steams the eggs still within their shells, and no mess can occur from flying egg! Really like this thing!
    Frank

Chrissy Cross and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'll just cook my eggs the old fashioned way, that looks like too many pieces to clean and put away, I'm getting rid of
    Things not buying more....

I just buy hard boiled eggs already cooked and peeled from Trader Joe's.