Mexican President Urges U S Action On Gun Control

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Frank Sanoica, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2019
    Bess Barber and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Just a question on guns - why are 'automatic weapons' so readily available ?
    What is their purpose ?
    I understand hand guns and rifles for hunting but not these :confused:

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Automatic weapons are illegal to sell or own in the U.S.
    Some semi-auto’s can be converted to auto but the majority of civilian owned automatic weapons are smuggled in from other countries like.....Mexico.

Some of the more militant preppers like to stockpile auto’s and other than practicing with them are fairly harmless but I’m sure I’m not wrong when I write that the majority of people who have them have more nefarious reasons for obtaining them.

Personally, even when I had an M-16 (ARMY) I only used the auto function on a couple of occasions and one of those was on the firing range for qualification. The other time was when I cleaned the weapon I left the switch on auto. That’s overkill with a big exclamation point.
    I preferred the “point and shoot” semi function over the auto function due to the speed of round expenditure on auto. An M-16 can empty a whole mag practically before the first brass hits the ground. It takes a heckova lot of practice to only expend 2 or 3 rounds at a time on auto.

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Hardly. There's actually a button for that but when I used it even shortly after posting, it didn't work then nor did it later. You'd have to ask Ken or Yvonne to do it for you.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Bobby Cole - there was a mass shooting sometime before the latest events, schools were calling for automatic weapons
    to 'not' be sold in gun shops. On the news I saw them for sale in a gun shop, they may have been 'altered' guns - not sure
    of the details now

Frank Sanoica and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Dunno Patsy. Auto’s are illegal so there must be some kind of miscommunication / misconception somewhere or the picture that was offered was altered or the word “semi-“ was hidden.
    A gun shop nor a gun show nor a private seller can offer automatic weapons under federal law.
    A civilian cannot even own an automatic weapon no matter where they bought it or from whom.

A civilian model of the AK-47 or even an AR-15 can be converted but the conversion is permanent and can no longer be used as a semi-automatic weapon which again, makes it illegal to own.

I’m sure that whatever gun shop the photo came from, the owner of said shop got pretty frantic about any indication that he or she was selling automatic weapons. Federal prison isn’t a nice place to spend one’s vacation.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Patsy Faye likes this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Registered

Oh - thanks Bobby, 'semi' seems familiar now - could you tell me the purpose of these ………..

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

The semi in semi-automatic only indicates that the weapon doesn’t have to be reloaded by hand each time a person fires it. After pulling (squeezing) the trigger and a round is expended, the weapon “automatically” loads another round into the breach and the trigger can be used again to expend the next one and so on. One pull on the trigger, one round is expended.

Fully automatic means that a person need only pull the trigger and hold it and then the weapon will load and expend all rounds one after the other as long as the trigger is held or the mag is empty.

Some hand weapons like the .45 auto or .25 auto are called automatic but in truth, they are only semi-automatic. One pull, one round.

Tom Galty, Bess Barber and Patsy Faye like this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Here’s a little tag along concerning the Mexican firearm thing.
    In 2017, about 14.5 K people died from criminal use of guns.
    In the same year, 72K people died from overdoses from illegal drugs.
    Perhaps the Mexican president needs to worry more about his country selling illegal drugs to the U.S. than about gun control.

I do wonder:
    Why is it that the politicians want to take away a Constitutional Right but have nothing on their minds concerning illegal drugs? Perhaps because it’s easy to rule over a bunch of dopers who are probably going to overdose anyway.

10. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

11. Frank Sanoica

Registered

Which is likely one of the reasons our military, Marine Corps for sure, changed out from M-16s to M-4, which had a selector lever choice of semi-, auto, or burst-fire, which consisted of I think 4-round bursts for each trigger pull. My nephew was issued one.
    Frank

Jerry Adams and Bobby Cole like this.
  12. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Patsy Faye
    A Gun Shop MUST have a Federal Firearms License to do business. If it sells fully-automatic weapons, it must also have a "Class III" license. Any fully-automatic weapons it possesses for sale or otherwise, must be already registered regarding ownership with the U.S. Treasury Department. Thus, any full-auto weapons offered for sale at retail are already accounted for. The proposed "new owner" must file required documents with Treasury in order to obtain his registration and take ownership. Treasury can turn down any request. Registration requirements include payment of a $200 U.S. Tax.
    Frank

Patsy Faye and Bobby Cole like this.
  13. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Bobby Cole @Patsy Faye "A gun shop nor a gun show nor a private seller can offer automatic weapons under federal law."

"A civilian cannot even own an automatic weapon no matter where they bought it or from whom."

Please be aware, these statements are not true. Any gun shop, or seller at a show, whether dealer or individual, as well as any individual, can offer for sale any National Firearms Act 1934 registered fully-automatic weapon, so long as re-registration is appropriately carried out.

Any civilian can legally own a fully-automatic weapon if he is not a documented criminal, and resides here in good standing. Individual-to-individual registration transfers are fairly rare, except among collectors, of whom there are large numbers. Treasury will not reveal publicly the number of registered such weapons, but certain malicious employees have often claimed they number in the tens of thousands.
    Frank

Patsy Faye and Bobby Cole like this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I’ll have to check that one out Frank.
    Our local gun range and weapons seller was on the radio citing the laws just the other day and he said nope which is what I repeated. Now, perhaps its a series of Alabama edicts I was citing but I don’t think so.
    You may be right but I do believe those laws you cited have been repealed and revised but again, I’ll check it out.

Edit: Okay, it’s right and wrong. I stand corrected on some, and not some.
    Automatic firearms are only legal if they were purchased prior to 1986. After that year no automatic weapon can be sold UNLESS it is sold by a federal or state agency and only to specific people with a whole lot of money and a heckova background. The weapon is registered by the feds the state and generally whatever police dept is responsible for where that person lives.

The rest is governed by each state as to the registration of those weapons purchased prior to ‘86 as well as what kinds of weapons can be bought and sold.

There’s a lot more to it so..........https://thefederalist.com/2017/10/02/actual-federal-laws-regulating-machine-guns-u-s/

Patsy Faye and Jerry Adams like this.
  15. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I want one just to uh.....look at.