Message In A Bottle

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Joe Riley, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Adding my Amen to that, Bobby!

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Think Again: The Dying Art of Thinking (LINK)
    [​IMG]

"The Bible places supreme value in the thought life. "As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he," Solomon wrote (Proverbs 23:7). Jesus asserted that sin's gravity lay in the idea itself, not just the act. The apostle Paul admonished the church at Philippi to have the mind of Christ, and to the same people he wrote, "Whatever is true...whatever is pure...if there be any virtue...think on these things" (Philippians 4:8).

"The follower of Christ must demonstrate to the world what it is not just to think, but to think justly. But how does one manage this in a culture where progress is determined by pace and defined by quantity"?

Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The secret of the anabaptists gives the answer: follow Jesus.

Likewise, confirmed throughout the NT, though rarely seen lived out in the last century anywhere,
    live in union with Jesus and with the Father.

oh, one 'common' phrase heard decades ago, "in the world, but not of the world" ,
    and not so common > "EK" as in ekklesia - called out ones, not subject to the culture with all of its demands or desires and whims... how? not easy > "crucified with Christ"; dead to the world; Alive in Christ by faith with continual fullness of peace, joy and righteousness, (along with persecution) ....

4. Emma Potter

Emma Potter Well-Known Member
    Registered

I am finishing up reading the Bible in a year, with the Amplified Bible. Ken, I agree with your about it being like a legal document. Every year I read a different version. My first Bible was the Living Bible, which I really like.. I tried the KJV but I found it very difficult to read and comprehend.Must be the old English language that I had difficulty with,made me not want to read it. I also have a Ryrie Study bible, and NIV, I will have to look for the Message Bible, and Good News Bible.

Yvonne Smith and Joe Riley like this.
  5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Upper Room Devotional for today

Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.” - Isaiah 30:21

"On a recent flight to visit family, I happened to get a window seat. After we had been in the air awhile, I took a break from reading and gazed out the window. The sky was clear blue, and I could see all the way to the ground. We were over sections of land that had no signs of life in any direction. However, I noticed rivers and streams that flowed between the stretches of land. It struck me that the rivers were all winding — not one river ran straight."

"I began to think of my life and how it has not run a straight path to where I am today. In today’s reading, we see that God did not take Moses and the Israelites on the shortest route to the Promised Land. Instead, God led them on a long and challenging journey through the desert so that they could avoid war with the Philistines."

"Like a winding river, our lives are filled with circuitous changes of direction. But the good news is that just as the river continues to flow, God’s directions will take us where God wants us to be. We have only to trust God on the way."

Today's Prayer
    O Lord, thank you for your grace-filled wisdom and guidance. Help us to rely on your directions for our lives and to draw closer to you as we travel the path you intend for us. In Jesus’ name, we pray. Amen.

6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

‘Like a voice from Heaven’: 15 years after death, boy’s message in a bottle finds way home. (Watch Video)
    [​IMG]

"It was just a green bottle floating above a barge."

"Over the past 33 years, currents had taken it 295 river miles through the Mississippi Delta."

"However, Billy Mitchell didn’t know that when he walked by it at first, before it caught his eye."

"For 30 minutes he worked to gently remove the paper inside. Time and moisture had taken their toll, but some of the words were still legible."
    [​IMG]
    "The handwriting was that of a child."
    (Read More)

Mary Stetler likes this.
  7. Jeff Elohim

Registered

Two choices.... certain doom.....

is one.

8. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

"The spirit is willing, but the FLESH is weak." and from what I've seen only Monks can live outside the world.
    God forgives who he chooses to forgive from my understanding anyway. Look at the apple of His eye. David was a lustful murderer. I don't claim to have answers, but I do have questions and put years of study into it and still much of it is a mystery to me although I ask for forgiveness and say my prayers and do believe in God. The Lords prayer pretty much sums it up for my prayer.

9. Jeff Elohim

Registered

From what you've posted, there is much askew.
    Remember hasatan came as Jesus said, and troubles more of the world than anyone considers, even controlling the religious/religious ones who are not in Jesus at all. Just because anyone claims to be isolated for their faith, has nothing to do with being abiding in Jesus nor loving the truth nor having life at all.

"And now I have told you [this] before it occurs, so that when it does take place you may believe and have faith in and rely on Me.

30 I will not talk with you much more, for the prince (evil genius, ruler) of the world is coming. And he has no claim on Me. [He has nothing in common with Me; there is nothing in Me that belongs to him, and he has no power over Me.]

31 But [Satan is coming and] I do as the Father has commanded Me, so that the world may know (be convinced) that I love the Father and that I do only what the Father has instructed Me to do. [I act in full agreement with His orders.] Rise, let us go away from here."
    --------------------------

John 14
    Amplified Bible, Classic Edition

14 Do not let your hearts be troubled (distressed, agitated). You believe in and adhere to and trust in and rely on God; believe in and adhere to and trust in and rely also on Me.

2 In My Father’s house there are many dwelling places (homes). If it were not so, I would have told you; for I am going away to prepare a place for you.

3 And when (if) I go and make ready a place for you, I will come back again and will take you to Myself, that where I am you may be also.

10. Jeff Elohim

Registered

God's Promise , throughout all time, throughout His Word, is that whoever seeks HIM, and keeps seeking HIM, will find HIM. It is necessary to leave religion, to see it for the fraud that it is, to find the kingdom of heaven, if at all it is to be found.
    Study, study, study, has not helped anyone find HIM.

Jesus PRAISES ABBA YAHWEH for revelation/revealing of salvation and everything about salvation to little infants/children, and for hiding it from the educated/religious/ ones, for thus it is HIS GOOD PLEASURE so to do.

11. Jeff Elohim

Registered

12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

The Parables of Lost Things

"The Pharisees were among the harshest critics of Jesus and His teachings. They leveled many criticisms against Him, chiefly because of His reception of the penitent publicans and sorrowful sinners."
    [​IMG]
    The Three Parables of Lost Things
    In response these hypocritical claims, Jesus tells three parables in Luke 15.

The similarities in these three parables are pointed and purposeful. In each of the parables the Shepherd, the woman, and the Father, respectively, lost something valuable to each of them.

• To the Shepherd, the lost sheep represented a loss of future income as well as the loss of time and effort previously spent on that particular animal.

• To the woman, the lost coin represented a loss of income and of future security. In a society where there was no social “security blanket” of protection, no welfare system and extraordinarily little margin between scratching out a living and the squalor of abject poverty.

• To the father the loss of a son represents, foremost, the loss of someone deeply loved and cherished, but also the loss of part of his legacy and his security in old age. To the Jews, a man’s wealth and worth were often counted in the number of sons which he had.
    (Read More)

13. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

No welfare but there was 'charity' ordering to give tithes to foreigners, widows, orphans.
    " Not to misinterpret with invasions happening now,but people passing through.

Deut, 26:12. God has given to you and your household. 12When you have finished laying aside a tenth of all your produce in the third year, the year of the tithe, you are to give it to the Levite, the foreigner, the fatherless, and the widow, that they may eat and be filled within your gates. 13Then you shall declare in the presence of the LORD your God, “I have removed from my house the sacred portion and have given it to the Levite, the foreigner, the fatherless, and the widow, according to all the commandments You have given me. I have not transgressed or forgotten Your commandments.…
    This verse has been used to think it means Israel had wide open borders and wasn't a nation, but it was a nation with borders of course and still is. It did say to help the weak and abandoned.
    The church and synagogue's were where people went for help but we lost our way now, thanks to Dept of indoctrination aka school system.
    Disciples said, 'if a man doesn't work he shall not eat'. Look at all the men who live off welfare now.
    The Bible is a hard thing to understand for me, there is lots of mystery in it, but I did study it for many years,and still know nothing much,but verses.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

From our "One Minute with God" calendar for today........

December 25

Jesus is always the beginning of the journey,
    whether you've known Him forever or not at all.
    Anyone who takes His outreached hand
    is walking in the very best way.

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only
    begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him
    shall not perish, but have eternal life.

John 3:16

Emma Potter and Bobby Cole like this.
  15. Jeff Elohim

Registered

In Hebrew Language that was "righteousness" as required. Calling it 'charity', in English translations, changed and changes the nature and intent to something in a subtle and devious way that is moving away from God and His Word.