Memories That Pop Up

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Bob Kirk, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Bob Kirk

Bob Kirk Veteran Member
    Registered

This morning while talking about what kind of rice to have with our breaded pork chops a memory popped up.

We were on our way from Bayamon, Puerto Rice to Ponce via the expressway. It was a family day. Our kids, my MIL, her brother & his wife & kids. Somewhere in the mountains between Caguas & Ponce we detoured to a restaurant set back deep in the country side. Awesome view sitting outside looking down at a banana orchard. Nice breeze & the smell of whatever flowers grew wild there.

I ordered pork chops empanada [breaded pork chops] white rice & red beans, a salad & cold Corona beer. I don't remember what everyone else ordered, I just remember all the meals being brought out at the same time.

Going really good so far. Then what took place next is one of those, I wish I could forget moments. My rice was moving! I called the waiter over to point out that a maggot was in my rice. He quickly took the plate away & brought me another. To this day I wonder if he just scraped the maggot off & added a little more rice. I'll never know but since I never had a problem I'll chock it up to what you don't know won't kill you. And no my meal wasn't on the house.

Lois Winters and Bess Barber like this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

WoW !! Yuck..and you still had to pay for it?>... :eek::eek::eek:

Lois Winters and Bess Barber like this.
  3. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I'm with @Holly Saunders on this one. However, if you were in Puerto Rico, I know you have to choose your battles carefully in some areas. I think after that, it would be a really long time before I could ever eat rice again....it would be an ever longer time before I would eat in Puerto Rico again. :D

Lois Winters likes this.
  4. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I refuse to eat rice. I hate the texture and how it feels in my mouth. Further, it has arsenic in it and that affects our joints. With my arthritis, even minute amounts of arsenic are not for me.

Yvonne Smith and Holly Saunders like this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

That's interesting Lois, I never knew Rice had a negative effect on Arthritis. I have some Osteoarthritis in my fingers , , and although I don't eat rice very often, perhaps I should cut it out completely...

Lois Winters likes this.
  6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I love to learn about foods that I like and eat often so I googled to find out some useful info.

https://www.treehugger.com/green-fo...igher levels of,arsenic in infant rice cereal.

Here is how to cook rice to remove the most arsenic

• Soak your rice overnight – this opens up the grain and allows the arsenic to escape.
    • Drain the rice and rinse thoroughly with fresh water.
    • For every part rice add 5 parts water and cook until the rice is tender – do not allow it to boil dry.
    • Drain the rice and rinse again with hot water to get rid of the last of the cooking water.

Lois Winters and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

With that thought I know I wouldn't have eaten any if that rice.

Lois Winters likes this.
  8. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I really don't factually know that rice has that much of a deleterious affect on arthritis, I just applied that to my total dislike of it. The arsenic in it is small, but in large quantities, it does harm our joints. If you like it, Holly, eat it.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  9. Bob Kirk

Bob Kirk Veteran Member
    Registered

Interesting info about rice. The prep makes a difference so now I know why my wife does what she does when making rice for meals. We've been married for 57 years & we've eaten rice not daily but often as part of our diet since day one.

As a side note to this. Before getting married eating meals at my then girlfriends house beat the mess hall hands down. After marrying I noticed my wife soaking the rice. I asked why. She explained her mother always did that. When her mom came for a visit I asked her about soaking the rice.

Her mom lived in a small town where there was no super market. So buying rice was done by going to the little mom & pop grocery store and buy a scoop full or more depending on how many were going to eat. The rice was scooped out of a barrel, weighed and bagged. Sounds kind of folksy doesn't it.

Once home the rice was soaked & sifted because the little black objects floating had to be removed. Remember the rice was kept in a barrel where mice could get in and eat. I'll leave it up to you the reader to guess what those little black objects were.

I'm alive and maybe healthier due to being exposed to a variety of stuff. The body tends to set up immunity.

Von Jones and Holly Saunders like this.